Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Are We Any Safer (After September 11)?

Author Topic: Are We Any Safer (After September 11)?
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I post here happened a few days ago in my hometown of Portland, Oregon. On the day in question a man landed his private plane at a small, private, "uncontrolled" airfield in suburban Portland. While refueling his plane the man asked the airfield attendant what is Portland's tallest building. The attendant answered, and the man responded with a remark about flying his plane into it. The attendant called either the F.A.A. or the F.B.I. [accounts differ], and reported what the man said. FOUR HOURS LATER the message reached the Air National Guard base at Portland International Airport, and two fighters were scrambled. The plane was never spotted; the fighters landed after it was determined the plane would have run out of fuel by then. The next day the man in question was apparently found and determined to be either depressed or "joking."

Fortunately, no harm was caused by the events described above, but what if the man had been serious, and had loaded his plane with volatile material, which is possible at an "uncontrolled" airport? Four hours is the best response time a major city can expect when a man threatens to do the very same thing that has us in a supposedly increased state of awareness and security? The events does not inspire me with confidence in the government's ability to protect us.

cptmkb
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for cptmkb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody is ever safe.

--------------------
"C'mon, tightly hold your hand / Take a deep breath, give them the finger / Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?" - Our Lady Peace, One Man Army

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, duh, Mike, but the lack of security at such small airports sort of implies that the government is falling into a lax state. C'mon, "Homeland Security" ... get with the fuckin' picture.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, all I know for sure is that very little has changed in the airport security personnell area. The same incompetent boobs who were working it before still are... except now they're government employees, which means they'll be 50 times harder to fire when they screw up.

Y'know they don't even require a high-school graduation or a GED? And these are people we're entrusting with our LIVES, much less our property?

This is why knee-jerk government industry "regulation" is bad... even (maybe especially) when Republicans do it. They shoulda thought this through more, though I can understand why that wasn't a priority.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ralph Nader was asked how he would've responded if he'd been elected president last year to the events of 9/11.

His response? "It would not have happened."

One of Nader's campaign points was to install steel doors in cockpits and revamp the airport security process.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a pretty bold statement.

There are thousands of airplanes in the U.S. alone. Even if all of them could have been refitted with steel doors and whatnot in, say, two months, that's still no guarantee that 9/11 would not have happened.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.