Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Civil Liberties

Author Topic: Civil Liberties
Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey what is with these arrests over these protestors that were protesting the world economic forum? I mean, as far as I have seen, these people were just peacefully gathering to protest economic policies, and at the most, they were making some loud noise. AND THE NYC POLICE ARRESTED THEM FOR DISORDERLY CONDUCT OR SOMETHING! That is totally outrageous. The last time I checked, we all still had the right to assemble peacefully to protest the government. Things like this, if we do not watch them, will allow this nation (the US) to gradually turn into a totalitarian state, so gradually, that we wouldn’t notice it until it is too late.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering the number of people protesting the event...I think 40 were arrested....that's not a bad number.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Civil what? Sounds vaguely unpatriotic...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And to be uncynical for a moment, despite my concerns about the current state of world and U.S. affairs, I rather doubt that anyone was arrested with no reason. Call me a doe-eyed optimist if you must.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only find a few references to hanging banners illegally and some minor vandalism, and some people who were blocking traffic with their bodies.

Still, that stuff is against the law. Shouldn't be complaining.

What I find amusing is that most complained that the police made their protesting harder. How's that again? Did they stand in their way, or something? Or did they just prevent them from doing as much damage as they would have liked?

[ February 07, 2002, 13:05: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can somebody link us up to a news article or something?

And I believe you need to pay for a permit these days to assemble for a protest?

"Yessir! You to can have your own set of civil rights for the low low cost of $99,999.99! Call now, operators are standing by!"

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.