Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Why this is upsetting...

Author Topic: Why this is upsetting...
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the recent events happening in Colorado, I have been doubting my wishes to become a High School teacher.

In my high school, I had some really good teachers, and they really made a difference in my life. I'd like to do that for others as well. I've always had this feeling that I'd change the world, and I'm pretty sure everyone feels that way. I thought that with teaching, I'd be able to.

Problem is, I honestly don't want to become a victim of a high school shootout, where some student decided that his last moments in life will be a gleeful killing spree. I don't want that to happen to me.

*sighs*

Wish me luck, all. Its going to be a rough ride.

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff Raven: Let's put this in perspective. There are thousands of high schools in this country. Less than a dozen have been marred by this level of violence. This translates to-you have a greater chance of being killed by any other means. Pursue your dream and don't let the actions of these unhappy people affect your dream.
IP: Logged
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here here! These psychos were out to kill and it was obviously planned to coincide with Hitlers birthday.

If you want to be a teacher, be a teacher and be the best one you can be, and that way those murderers will not win because at least some good can then come out of this tragedy.

I wish you luck in this, but I'm sure you'll be alright.
------------------
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.

[This message was edited by Orion Syndicate on April 23, 1999.]

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
learn to defend youself. There is more then just shootings in schools.

------------------
Down for Upgrade

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, I also want to be a high school teacher, and I'm not going to let the tragedies taking place in schools today stop me. Teaching is a VERY rewarding profession, and I don't see how it's very much more dangerous that a lot of other professions... yes, there have been an unhealthy number of violent and deadly acts in the last few years on school grounds, but I still don't think of it as a dangerous profession.

Earlier this school year, my school also was threatened by a gun man.... we were in a lockdown situation, and we spent the entire day wondering what was wrong and what was going to happen. Thanfully nothing did, and we all made it home intact...

Not all schools anymore are as lucky as we were, and I see AND understand that... however, the schools still NEED good people to become good teachers because it's the GOOD teachers that will see the problems and be most likely to maybe stop the issues and PREVENT tragedies like this... if all that's left in schools are bad teachers that don't care because the good teachers have been scared away, THEN what are we left with? I'd rather not think about that.... it's a pretty grim picture....

~LOA

------------------
"DollyWood, here I come!" ~LOA '99

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps