Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Britain plans to destroy world (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Britain plans to destroy world
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Well, that's what people said when the US said similar things, so...)

As if hating the US for being willing to use nukes in combat wasn't keeping people busy enough, they can now hate Mother England, as well.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/nuclear-doctrine-02f.html

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the general rule is that you're not suppose to use them first. Once the other side uses WMD, your own gloves comes off.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You stole my words, Rob.

The fact that the UK is endorsing and promoting the same behavio(u)r than the USA is, in fact, a provocation on itself. It's like crying 'we want WWIII NOW!!' to Saddam Hussein's face.

But I can't understand why they did such a move...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, my point is that the US's policy in THIS regard is neither new nor unique. Most civilized countries had a 'no first use' policy... but never a 'no second use' one. Our 'strategy' on this isn't any different from any other nuclear-armed country.

You think the USSR wouldn't have used their nukes on the Chinese 'human waves' if they'd been attacked, back when their relations were bad? (Yes, Sino-Soviet relations were bad, once upon a time. The Chinese wanted the land and resources of Siberia and Central Asia, and the Soviets coveted more ice-free ports on the Pacific. There were skirmishes, and the potential for hot war loomed quite close more than once.)

You think Russia or China wouldn't retaliate heavily if someone used a WMD (whether chemical, bio, or nuke) on one of their cities?)

We 'civilized' nations keep from blowing each other up, because we don't want to DIE in return.

But there are other kinds of folks out there, 'true believers' who don't care about death, whether they blow themselves up in a disco in Jerusalem, crash a plane into a high-rise in Manhattan, or are immolated by nuclear fire on the ground in Somewhereistan, as long as they can kill lots of the enemy. Most of them believe we don't have the 'nads to retaliate in kind even if they WERE to use a WMD. They're wrong, I think, but that will only matter afterwards.

quote:
But I can't understand why they did such a move...
Possibly, they're accepting that Czech police report that put Iraqi intelligence officers together with an Al-Qaeda agent (Atta, in fact) back before 9-11.

Several other "mentions" which confound those who would deny Iraq may be involved are listed here:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion/baroneweb/mb_011113.htm

quote:
Other evidence comes from London, headquarters of the Iraqi National Congress. On November 2, the INC's leaders said that a 16-year veteran of Iraqi intelligence, recently escaped from an Iraqi prison, said that Iraq had controlled and funded al Qaeda since 1998
quote:
On November 11, the London Observer reported that senior U.S. intelligence officials said the CIA had "credible information" that two other September 11 hijackers had met with known Iraqi intelligence agents.

quote:
The level of evidence required for justified action in international war is not as high as that required for conviction in an American criminal court. The meetings between September 11 hijackers and Iraqi intelligence agents–especially the meetings Atta went to such trouble to travel to attend–are enough, given Saddam Hussein's well-established history of support for terrorism and efforts to develop weapons of mass destruction. Some may object that the Czech Prime Minister reported that Atta and al-Ani were only conferring about an attack on Radio Free Europe, not September 11. But, leaving aside the question of whether he knows what the two men said, Radio Free Europe is an organization supported and sponsored by the U.S. government. An attack on Radio Free Europe headquarters would be as much an attack on the United States as Al Qaeda's attacks on the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998.
It's likely we've been 'playing down' Iraqi connections in order to help build the support for the Afghanistan missions, because letting it slip might have fractured the support for action by the Islamic countries.

[ March 21, 2002, 16:59: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So basically your argument for kicking someone is to point at another boy and say "He kicked him first"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ye gods! Who gave the Brits nukes?!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoffrey Taylor, among others.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So basically your argument for kicking someone is to point at another boy and say "He kicked him first"?
That's Rob's argument for everything. I wondered why he was so quiet in the Bush nuclear thread; it seems that, unable to find any credible defence for Der Schrub's latest idiocy, he was frantically searching for something, anything which would show that other people were less than perfect. As usual.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was quiet because I 'gently' requested him to stay out, remember? [Frown]

And, the 'he kicked me first' attitude will only lead to an escalade of violence.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To coin a phrase:

Well, duh.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that part of the equation that is being left out in these discussions is the considered use of nuclear weapons agains non-nuclear countries.

I believe that the arsenal of democracy has enough and varied weapons to resond in kind to a biological or chemical attack from any nation.

The plans for potential use of nuclear weapons against a county like Syria is little but a saber rattling scare tactic used by Mr. Bush. A tactic that seems to be the limit of his foreign policy skills.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Geoff Hoon and the like would like to consider themselves able to destroy the world, but in reality they are wimps. The US would probably nuke an area, then Geoff Hoon and Reverend Blair would order the same area nuked again (with Washington's permission of course) then stroking their own ego's by claiming that they dealt a crippling blow in the war against terorism. A statue would then be erected on the site of the twin towers with Bush and Blair standing shoulder to shoulder, perhaps Blair will be on his knees, and both of them will sort of be pointing towards the future....

[ March 22, 2002, 08:47: Message edited by: Orion Syndicate ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
, perhaps Blair will be on his knees
So Dubya's into that kind of thing, huh? [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, pretzels aren't the only things he likes to stick down his throat. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it didn't go all the way down his throat. It kinda stopped halfway down, right?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps