Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » World War 3? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: World War 3?
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been told the conflicts in the Middle East could start a World War 3. Most if not all Middle East countries would band together and invade Israel. Then in return our ally asks us for help (GB and USA) and either we turn them down or we in fact do help. Now that is needed a spark to ignite the fire.

What do you think?

[ April 10, 2002, 15:59: Message edited by: Matrix ]

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you've been listening to too many fearmongers... or maybe javaman on snopes's site. But he's a loony.

1. They probably wouldn't all band together... there are too many other rivalries there. Plus, most of them really don't care that much about the Palestinians, if they did they'd have taken them in.

2. The last time, Israel beat them. The time before that, Israel beat them. With help, yes, but not with as much help as we might give them now.

3. WW3? With WHO? there's just no major power pulling that much for the other side. Russia probably would LIKE to see oil prices go higher, then they could sell us their oil and make a killing. China doesn't seem to be that interested. Pakistan and India have their own problems, and cancel each other out. Neither has the tech to reach the West yet.

From the news from over there, maybe France might side against us, (j/k) but that wouldn't last. [Razz]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Israelian army is the third-strongest in the world (thanks to fifty years of uninterrupted American funding and a very powerful Jewish lobby).

Any war waged against that nation would be over before it even started.

[ April 10, 2002, 17:00: Message edited by: Cartman ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Israelian?
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last good war they had was what...... 6-days???

Them Israelian's know how to fight.... the problem maybe with the Egypti's, with us selling them the rights to the M-1. Since an M-1 has a hell of a time blowing up an M-1 the Merkava(sp?) might have a tad of a problem....

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really really hope for the world's sake that this thread isn't dragged out in a few months time and waved in my face, but I'm pretty confident you simply won't see a war against Israel involving either Egypt or Jordan. Barring radical Islamist coups in both countries, Mubarrak and Hussein aren't going to take military action

That would leave, worst case scenario, attack from Syria and/or Iraq. The unfortunate thing is that both these are countries that the West would likely retaliate against thanks to previous unfinished business, which inevitably means we'd get exactly what the extremist Arab groups want, full scale war between the Satanic American-Jewish Zionist conspiracy vs. All that is pure and holy.

Which is why Israel has to borrow a page out of Rabin's policy from 1991 and try to avoid going to war with Iraq and Syria because that would get very ugly very quickly.

[ April 10, 2002, 20:02: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am seriously hoping there is no World War 3, for obivous reasons and not so obvious reasons. In 9-10 I will be shipping out to boot camp for the Navy and guess what would happen to me if there was a war? I go to war, and so does my younger brother and everyone in my school.

I have been told this if you look at it, no Middle East country likes Israel that much. Now if Saddam suceeds in getting a large portion of the Middle East in stopping oil production for a month, then there is a motive underneath that so called protest. It does not take a scientist to think that if a country is willing to stop the only way of getting money to their country for a month as a protest that then they are willing to go to war with that same country they are protesting about.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In 9-10 I will be shipping out to boot camp for the Navy and guess what would happen to me if there was a war
You'll earn your pay.

Er ... everyone in your school is joining the Navy, too?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

No they're going for the Marines...

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

The Marines are a branch of the Navy, I hope you realize.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snayer:

Really? [Confused] I'd never have guessed.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom: I think it's safe to say that King Hussein isn't going to be taking any kind of action any time soon...
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't let any Marines hear you say that Snayer. [Wink]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OPEC, since oil retention was brought up....

Venezuela - South America
Ethnic groups: Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Arab, German, African, indigenous people
Religions: nominally Roman Catholic 96%, Protestant 2%, other 2%

Nigeria - Africa
Ethnic groups: Nigeria, which is Africa's most populous country, is composed of more than 250 ethnic groups; the following are the most populous and politically influential: Hausa and Fulani 29%, Yoruba 21%, Igbo (Ibo) 18%, Ijaw 10%, Kanuri 4%, Ibibio 3.5%, Tiv 2.5%
Religions: Muslim 50%, Christian 40%, indigenous beliefs 10%

Algeria - Africa
Ethnic groups: Arab-Berber 99%, European less than 1%
Religions: Sunni Muslim (state religion) 99%, Christian and Jewish 1%

Libya - Africa
Ethnic groups: Berber and Arab 97%, Greeks, Maltese, Italians, Egyptians, Pakistanis, Turks, Indians, Tunisians
Religions: Sunni Muslim 97%

Indonesia - Pacific Rim
Ethnic groups: Javanese 45%, Sundanese 14%, Madurese 7.5%, coastal Malays 7.5%, other 26%
Religions: Muslim 88%, Protestant 5%, Roman Catholic 3%, Hindu 2%, Buddhist 1%, other 1% (1998)

Iran - Middle East
Ethnic groups: Persian 51%, Azeri 24%, Gilaki and Mazandarani 8%, Kurd 7%, Arab 3%, Lur 2%, Baloch 2%, Turkmen 2%, other 1%
Religions: Shi'a Muslim 89%, Sunni Muslim 10%, Zoroastrian, Jewish, Christian, and Baha'i 1%

Iraq - Middle East
Ethnic groups: Arab 75%-80%, Kurdish 15%-20%, Turkoman, Assyrian or other 5%
Religions: Muslim 97% (Shi'a 60%-65%, Sunni 32%-37%), Christian or other 3%

Kuwait - Middle East
Ethnic groups: Kuwaiti 45%, other Arab 35%, South Asian 9%, Iranian 4%, other 7%
Religions: Muslim 85% (Sunni 45%, Shi'a 40%), Christian, Hindu, Parsi, and other 15%

Saudi Arabia - Middle East
Ethnic groups: Arab 90%, Afro-Asian 10%
Religions: Muslim 100%

United Arab Emerites - Middle East
Ethnic groups: Emirati 19%, other Arab and Iranian 23%, South Asian 50%, other expatriates (includes Westerners and East Asians) 8% (1982)

note: less than 20% are UAE citizens (1982)
Religions: Muslim 96% (Shi'a 16%), Christian, Hindu, and other 4%

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html
The source doesn't make it the gospel, but it may work.....

Location, make-up of the peoples, national economies, and the countries political systems will also help us to interpolate whether or not these countries will attempt to with hold oil from Western/Israeli allies...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
Them Israelian's know how to fight.... the problem maybe with the Egypti's, with us selling them the rights to the M-1. Since an M-1 has a hell of a time blowing up an M-1 the Merkava(sp?) might have a tad of a problem....

Don't worry about little things like that, there's no way the US was going to export top notch technology to a so-so friendly country like Egypt, especially in the area of material science (Chobham armor). The M1s Egypt received are most certainly watered-down, export versions.

During Desert Storm, M1s were blowing the crap out of each other in friendly fire incidents. I wish I had bookmarked that report, but oh well. Tom Clancy might have said differently, but people don't faith in what he says anymore.

The Merkava was designed specifically for desert operations, and has since then been improved dramatically. I really would put it equal to the M1A2 overall. No more target practice like what happened with the Iraqi T-72s.

quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snayer:

You're a braver man than me for saying that.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps