Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What did you say? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: What did you say?
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To exist or not to exist? That is a question.....

How many kids have yelled at their parents, "I wish I had never been born!!"??
How many kids could say this with honesty???

Yes, this is a Merry-Go-Round.......

The balance still exists, all is good....

Good Morning....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Far be it from me to outthink these supergeniuses that would purposely handicap their child (sarcasm.. these sound like the cruelest people imaginable).. but maybe instead of working on this gruesome science of genetically disabling them, perhaps they could find some way to temporarily deafen their child to help them bond with them and then have the choice of gaining the sense... that way the child wouldnt be able to say 'you ruined my life', they would say 'you ruined my childhood years', which is a complaint that all children have of their parents anyway

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know ... I could understand this reaction if they were deliberately giving their child down syndrome, or something that completely eliminates the possibility of a successful future ...

... but being deaf doesn't do that. Deaf people are successful in every tier of society -- a friend of mine graduates GWU next year, and is planning to go to Law School in Boston. She's deaf. She's in one of the top schools in the country. Tell her she's got a disability, and she'll call you an "ignorant sack of ignorant shit" (and she's got a really cute and sweet smile on when she says it, too ... [Smile] )

I think the people who have the strongest opinion about deafness being "wrong" are those who have had hearing, and then lose it (or imagine losing it). Not those who were born without it to begin with ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd still like to hear why this is different from two deaf people meeting at a coffee shop, getting married, and having kids.

The intention of the parents. Again, intent is vital.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snayer, ask you friend what she thinks about this subject..... See if she would do the same, and, if so, ask her why should wouldn't want her child to have more advantages in life???
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff: I'm sure you could also find someone who can't talk, or see, or walk, or whatever, who doesn't consider it a disability. But self-delusion does not a true statement make.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The intention of the parents
In both cases, the intention of the parents is to have children. In both cases, both biological parents are deaf, meaning their offspring will most likely also be deaf. Very little difference here that I can see.

quote:
See if she would do the same, and, if so, ask her why should wouldn't want her child to have more advantages in life???
Ritten, are you suggesting that if she could hear she'd, I don't know, have graduated from Harvard at the top of her class at the tender age of 10? She's at one of the top Universities in the US. Being deaf hasn't exactly stuck her working at McD's her whole life.

quote:
But self-delusion does not a true statement make.
Fine. Then we're talking about someone with a disability who has done more at 21 then a lot of the people on this board have accomplished at the same point in their lives. Or does everyone here go to a school with as much prestiege as The George Washington University?

Maybe I just don't get why people are so venemous about a deaf couple choosing to have a deaf child.

Omega, I'm also very surprised in your answers on this subject. Shouldn't you be saying, "it's not anyone's place to tell them what to do or not to do?"

[ April 14, 2002, 16:24: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snayer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Ritten, are you suggesting that if she could hear she'd, I don't know, have graduated from Harvard at the top of her class at the tender age of 10? She's at one of the top Universities in the US. Being deaf hasn't exactly stuck her working at McD's her whole life.

No, I was wondering if she would like her child(ren) to have the, ummm, the advantage of hearing, over these peoples dubious choice of making a deaf child....

Then again, she may not be the best choice of people to ask.... Those that have been on both sides of the spectrum, or are travelling the course from being able to hear to being deaf.....

Would you, Jeff, seek out a girlfriend/wife, that has a sense that is "offline" in order to see if you could have kids that had the same "offline" gene??
Would you, Jeff, not want your child(ren) to have all of their abilities in a fully functional state when born???

In both questions, Why???

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Would you, Jeff, seek out a girlfriend/wife, that has a sense that is "offline" in order to see if you could have kids that had the same "offline" gene??
Would I seek them out? No, but if I happened to fall in love with someone who was deaf, I wouldn't not have kids because of the fear that they too might be deaf.

quote:
Would you, Jeff, not want your child(ren) to have all of their abilities in a fully functional state when born???
Sure I would, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have kids if my wife was deaf.

And since when it this about what I want, or what you want, or what we want. Isn't it about what they want ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

mmmm, yes, but we stated our opinions that they are a couple, er, few, fucked up people.....

I was also wondering your opinion and stance in as full a nature as possible, which I couldn't do without asking, guessing or trying to put words in your mouth, neither seemed acceptable....

Seeking out for the expressed purpose, as opposed to it being fate/destiny/pheromones/whatever, is the difference.
Other than creating a new life for this planet, maybe creating a loving atmosphere, what are they doing for that child??? Pardone, I can't hear you....

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Jeff, you feel that a person's entire quality of life should be measured by how prestigious their college is?

And, again, it isn't a question of whether or not you'd risk having a deaf child. These people didn't say "Well, we might end up w/ a deaf child, and we might not, and it's alright either way." They said "We have to do everything possible to ensure that this kid won't ever get to hear a single thing."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, Ritten, as long as you can see what I'm typing ...

But, yeah, essentially: that's it. They're giving this child life. Yes, the child is probably going to be deaf, but if this woman this man weren't doing "it like they do on the Discovery channel" this kid would never be alive.

Life with a disability or no life at all? It's one of those aspects of pro-choice the anti-choicers like to forget about.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

I like to try to read these, but I read slow, so, please type slower.... [Wink]

Life with a parental inflicted disability or no life at all......
We would have to ask the kid in a few years to see how he feels about it....

[ April 14, 2002, 20:03: Message edited by: Ritten ]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega, I'm also very surprised in your answers on this subject. Shouldn't you be saying, "it's not anyone's place to tell them what to do or not to do?"

Disappointed that you can't jump all over me?

TSN hit it on the head: there is a difference between having a child to have a child, and not caring whether it's deaf or not; and having a child and specifically ensuring that it's deaf.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Disappointed that you can't jump all over me?
I am jumping all over you. You are passing judgement on what is no-one's business but this couples'. Isn't that a "no-no" for Conservatives? And, er, didn't God say something about only Herself judging ... ?

quote:
there is a difference between having a child to have a child, and not caring whether it's deaf or not; and having a child and specifically ensuring that it's deaf.
Well, I might have this wrong, but without chopping off the child's ears, it is possible the child won't be born deaf. And I think you're mistaken if you think that in couples where one person has a defect, the possibility of that defect recurring in the child isn't a "care" at all ... it's usually a great point of concern in the decision to have a child or not.

quote:
Life with a parental inflicted disability or no life at all......
We would have to ask the kid in a few years to see how he feels about it....

Bada boom, bada bing!

[ April 14, 2002, 20:34: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snayer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps