Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » NJ State Police & DWB (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NJ State Police & DWB
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Bush administration, however desperate to earn racial sensitivity points, should realize that far more than politics is at stake in the poisonous anti–racial profiling agenda. It has strained police-community relations and made it more difficult for the police to protect law-abiding citizens in inner-city neighborhoods. The sooner the truth about policing gets out, the more lives will be saved, and the more communities will be allowed to flourish freed from the yoke of crime.
http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon_3_27_02hm.html

[ April 12, 2002, 12:50: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snayer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My question is:
What is the total percentage of drivers, by ethnic group, that uses the turnpike?
In what areas does the turnpike run?
Were there special areas where the cops sat, or was the pike covered in its entirety?
I would need more details on the report, see all the tickets, plot them on a map....

On I-475 here in MI you could make the same type of report.... The problem is that I-475 runs through Flint, and the majority of the drivers are black, so I would imagine that most of the drivers pulled over anywhere on I-475 would be black.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A subject we've never (to my memory, anyway) gone over in this forum before, and everyone stays away from it with a ten-foot pole.

Judas H. Priest!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what do expect anyone to say about it? "Me, too!"?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I was expecting comments about the thing. Is Bush right to continue to promote it as fact in an effort to gain "racial points"? You know ... debate.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Bush should not have buried the report, Freedom of Information and all..... It shows a lack of character to allow such things to happen, in the regard that he is worried about kissing someones ass to stay in office for a 2nd term.

Something more like that.... Which is how I feel about it....

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*checks ten foot pole*

Yup.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, this report is hard going. I can't make head nor tail of it! So far I've been able to establish that:

a) Racial Profiling is where law enforcement officials deliberately target minorities when enforcing, say, traffic laws. Therefore they're more likely to stop a black person than a white person for speeding.

b) Recent studies suggest that black people are more likely to speed.

c) Both the Clinton and Bush administrations have suppressed such research in favour of a continued campaign to clean up police racism.

Is this right?

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah basically.
I guess the main reason people aren't talking about this topic is because its so obvious.

Political correctness is almost a religion today and it always seems to attack the symptoms rather than the causes of whatever "-ism" is in the vogue.

In regards to this article, so yes....some police officers might be racist (so...some members of society are racist too, tweet), they stop more black people because:
a) they're racist
b) members of a marginalised community are more likely to commit crimes when they feel they have less at stake
c) all of above
Controversial research going against conventional PC is unpopular, therefore its ignored by a democratic government. Tweet.

It just all seems rather quaint.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Actually, what the link says is that while Racial Profiling is the supposed act of pulling a driver over simply for his skin color, in reality racial profiling does not exist in the scale many media and political figures have said it had, and the higher ratio of black drivers being pulled over is attributed to a higher ratio of black drivers speeding on the highways (verified by a study).

In other words, if racial profiling doesn't exist, why say it does except to get points for the next election? Shame on Clinton, double shame on Bush.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who said it didn't exist?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

He did quanify it as not being done as much as some groups would lead to believe....

Got a link for that report???

Like I said, I-475 could also be used for this report, since the majority of the drivers, over all, are black, the majority of the drivers being stopped, over all, would be black.....

No, on the northern stretches of I-75, if more black drivers were being stopped than white, racial profiling would be a more accurate answer than the people actually speeding....

A newspaper report, like that, can only let us debate on if hiding the report was okay and if racial profiling is okay..... The newspaper could have placed some info in there..... The times and places where this was done is the big item....

No, the report should have not been hidden.
No, racial profiling is not acceptable, as it violates human decency, being guilty for no reason than their/your skin color....

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

The study did, Omega. Please try and keep up with the reading. Thank you.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta love New Jersey...

Don't you just love it when you step outside and in a clear day you see nice yellow skies and brown clouds with humidity of 150%.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

the humidity I have, mmm, accepted as not being changable... Till I get my AC back....

Same with the Yellow skies.... Canadian chemical plants only about 500 to 750 meter away.... Gotta love it....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps