Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » No Evidence Necessary? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: No Evidence Necessary?
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
politics/politicians suck, where as a vacuum is supposed to.....

Has the UN really made plans to invade the US??? If so, is it a bad thing???

The original state of consideration was probably made to gauge public opinion on if such a stupid thing would be acceptable... Which, on the surface, people would think, 'Yes, get them fucks!', then, if they actually think about it (which doesn't seem to be a great human passtime) they would think, 'Fuck no, then we are opening ourselves up for the same treatment, by letting them set such a precedent!'.....

The Nazis line of defense.... "I was just following orders."

The terrorists line of defense.... "Die you western devil."

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hey, aren't y'all the ones always yelling about how court rulings ARE law, regardless of any superceeding law?"

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly wouldn't say any such thing. (Incidentally, I also wouldn't misspell "superseding" in the process.)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or superceding, to the rest of us.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a difference between being opposed to something in general, and being opposed to something in its current form.

For instance: One need not be eternally opposed to a Court of International Law to be opposed to the current form it seems to be taking.

Or, one need not be opposed to the death penalty in general to be opposed to the way in which it is currently being administered.

OR, one need not be an atheist to disbelieve in the JudeoChristian version of "God."

These black and white either-or fallacies become very tiresome after a while. a Bad Idea may still contain elements which are Good Ideas.

In other words, despite the smokescreen, just because I don't like the current direction the World Court idea seems to be going in does NOT mean I reject all International tribunal decisions and activities.

I even support the concept of a world government... so long as it's more libertarian than authoritarian, and toward the center economically.

Back to topic: One of my sources seems to assert that the entire SS, including the Waffen SS, was tried and convicted in absentia. This would seem to support the precedent. Still waiting for more data.

quote:
If in past tribunals, and I'm not saying it happened at Nuremburg, there were due process problems, how does that make it ok now?
Because people have been silent on the subject for 50 years. It's one of those 'you're protesting this, why aren't you protesting that? It's the same thing' things. Plus its amusing to imagine the looks on their faces when they realize that their position supports pardoning Nazis.

quote:
If Omeychops can show that even one of those people, who has an opposing viewpoint to his, has ever expressed such an opinion regarding court rulings, then that means that every single one of these people who don't agree with him are wrong about everything, ever. Because he's never contradicted himself, and he's always right.
Funny, that's the same thing Jay is doing when he made his "since conservatives reject international action now, how can you now lay claim to past international adjudication?" speech.

Funny, that.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob,

Well, you at least left the part alone about the police warrant and being a "wannabe librarian" ... good for you.

One big difference is this, however. The Nazi officers tried were known to be members of the Nazi party. There was signifigant evidence of their crimes (like all those dead Jews), and that they were in charge. The Nuremberg Trials were more about how far one could be defended under "I was only obeying orders."

What we discuss here is completely different. How do we know that the men and women our government will haul before its tribunals are members of terrorist organizations WITHOUT evidence that they are?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do we know we're going to be hauling them without evidence?

I see a lot of assertions here of 'these people are going to be tried on no evidence,' but not even the original article seems to back that up.

It says they're having trouble gathering enough evidence to charge them with 'traditional' war crimes, but that's not the same as not having enough evidence to charge them with ANY crime.

If we DO consider "to have been a senior member or officer of a Qaeda unit that was involved in any of the regular crimes of war" as a crime (and given the precedent I discussed before, there's no reason we shouldn't), that's a different story. I don't think that there's any doubt that the folks being held at Guantanamo ARE officers (not necessarily high-ranking Osama confidantes, but officers nonetheless in the Taliban and/or Al Qaeda). IIRC, that was one of the qualifications to be shipped there rather than held in Afghanistan.

I'm assuming that there's evidence enough to support that particular charge, which is why the government is going with that. Actually, I suspect that particular evidence wouldn't be all that hard to come by. You could glean some every time one guy referred to another by rank, or took orders from him.

[ April 27, 2002, 08:56: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't think that there's any doubt that the folks being held at Guantanamo ARE officers (not necessarily high-ranking Osama confidantes, but officers nonetheless in the Taliban and/or Al Qaeda). IIRC, that was one of the qualifications to be shipped there rather than held in Afghanistan.

What do you base this on?

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.S. officials say privately that they expect only a small number of them will face charges before the tribunals; a larger number, they say, are likely to be detained indefinitely without being charged. That is because U.S. officials are having trouble obtaining information about the detainees, and most are turning out to be low-ranking fighters.

This is from a Washington post article that I posted on April 2 in the Topic: A shocking view of Military Tribunals from a Liberal Thread.
The url to the article is there.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
What do you base this on?
I heard it on some news report, that the people being held at Guantanamo were primarily officers, or what passes for officers among the Taliban and Al-Qaeda. I forget exactly where. Perhaps I misheard, or perhaps I'm wrong. Or perhaps it's newer data.

Still, A lieutenant is an officer, but he isn't of high rank. (Or by Trek, an ensign is an officer, but he's hardly of high rank.)

[ April 27, 2002, 14:15: Message edited by: First of Two ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait -- I thought the Taliban didn't HAVE officers or a chain of command! At least, isn't that what people were saying when some were wondering about the Geneva Convention?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, English major god-like being? If you'll excuse me for a second. "We've captured bin Laden's lieutenants" doesn't mean "We've captured bin Laden's low-ranking military officers."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Or superceding, to the rest of us."

I've checked, and you seem to have a variant that's considered incorrect. Another relic of the French, apparently.

As for the continued use of the Nürnberg trials as "precedent", what's next? The Star Chamber? The Spanish Inquisition?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

I stand corrected. Looks like it squirmed into my MS Word dictionary.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not in mine either. We'll have to give this round to the Yank, Tom.

But never fear. We shall ultimately triumph!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stiff upper lip and all....
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Surely that gets in the way when kissing?
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps