Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Global what? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Global what?
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
April 28 CBS Evening News story:
“The recent collapse of an enormous, 12,000-year-old Antarctic ice shelf, coupled with the warmest winter on record, is adding fuel to the debate over global warming.”
Terry Joyce, oceanographer: “We see temperatures rising. It’s most evident in the oceans, which is where the heat is stored.”
Pinkston: “Terry Joyce, a scientist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, studies the effects of global warming. He and other researchers are increasingly sounding a new alarm, a paradox, that global warming could produce an abrupt climate change and cooler temperatures, very soon.”
Joyce: “We could end up with a change that would occur within a decade and we would be in a different climate.”
Pinkston to Joyce: “A colder climate?”
Joyce confirmed: “A colder climate.”
Pinkston explained the theory: “The theory behind how global warming could lead to colder temperatures begins with the build-up of greenhouse gasses that are trapping heat in the atmosphere. This heat contributes to the melting of arctic icecaps and the evaporation of ocean water. The moisture returns to Earth as precipitation, rain and snow. But the addition of huge volumes of fresh water could disrupt the Atlantic Ocean conveyor system that brings warm currents from the southern tropics to the north.”

Urrgh.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either way (be it warming or cooling), continuing to dump gazillions of tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere can't be a Good Thing.

[ May 02, 2002, 15:23: Message edited by: Cartman ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, everyone stop exhaling... [Wink]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Global Warming == Media-driven stupidspeak for Global Climate Change.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, in the amount of time that we have been recording the climate is what 100 years maybe 200? Out of what? 5 billion?

The amount of rain I have been getting right now, (around 6-8 inches in the past couple of days) and still call this severe drought?

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, exact measurements (useful for the most basic of predictions) have only been in use for about 50 years. We've only been able to predict/track hurricanes since the space age started. And back in the late 70's we were all getting ready for the next Ice Age, because that's what the doomniks were telling us then.

But it's an interesting self-correcting mechanism, isn't it?

quote:
Either way (be it warming or cooling), continuing to dump gazillions of tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere can't be a Good Thing.
Wouldn't think so... but these folks at The Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Climate Change would seem to have varying opinions on the idea:

http://www.co2science.org/center.htm

[ May 02, 2002, 17:23: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't reality be somewhere in the middle? I'm sure that part of the climate changes going on are natural... but they're probably still affected by all the gases we've pumped into the atmosphere in the past two centuries.

Whatever's going on, it's only being affected -- not controlled -- by pollution.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk about freakish weather. Last week, we had snow.

Yes, snow.

At the end of April.

Around 10 cm.

Very annoying.

Thankfully, it's not snowing anymore and May is turning out as it should. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read a report in some doctors office magazine that said that this could be a thing that happens every few thousand years.... Time, Life, or some such...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean it DOESN'T snow in Canada 24/7?

Matrix, if you live on the East Coast (I'm in Md), then you'd know that the extent of the drought is such that the rainfall we've had hasn't been enough to get us up and running again. It's been nice, sure, but it ain't enough.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:

No, and it creates major problems for people when they have to purchase snow to build igloos with. Many Canadians either have to sell off their Huskies and slide to purchase snow to build igloo to shelter their family, or invest in "houses".

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was kidding, dude [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:

No, and it creates major problems for people when they have to purchase snow to build igloos with. Many Canadians either have to sell off their Huskies and slide to purchase snow to build igloo to shelter their family, or invest in "houses".
My God, that's terrible, how are you managing? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here, in the glorious valley of the Elk, we thought winter was long behind us. Spring. Sun. Dry ground. Gardening.

It snowed last night.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

LOL

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps