Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Who choose whom? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who choose whom?
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many people believe the Israelis were chosen by G-d. The Israelis, and their descendants the Jews, think differently.

As Moses was confronting the Pharoah of Egypt, G-d was sending emissaries to the 70 nations of the world. They bore with them his laws. The leaders were asked if they wanted to accept these things and agree to a binding contract between G-d and themselves. Each and every leader of the nations said no.

When Moses brought the people to Mt. Sinai, G-d asked the people if they would accept the contract and join with him. They would accept his laws. The people said yes and so, as a nation, Israel chose this G-d as their spiritual king and their representative.

This is recorded in the Talmud.

Thought you might like to know. [Smile]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The job interview to end all job interviews, eh?

Assyria: Well Mr Yahwe, we ARE interested in hiring you, but we are a bit concerned about your last job, where you terminated an experiment by drowning the subjects as they didn't meet your expectations.

[ May 06, 2002, 04:08: Message edited by: Nim Pim ]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"G-d."
You can't write "God?"

--------------------
Meh

colin
Member # 217

Veers,

This is how I like to write the name. This is my choice.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes]

You know, targetemployee, if you are so fascinated by the history and culture of the Jewish people, why don't you catch the next flight headed for the Middle-East (or better yet: migrate) and spare us this endless string of threads about Israel?

[/rant]

Thankfully things have quieted down -- or it just seems that way because of the greatly reduced media coverage.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a pity no one got his signature during an interview, boy, wouldn't that one be a keeper.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about that, colin.

[ May 06, 2002, 14:42: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

colin
Member # 217

Veers,

Apology accepted.

Cartman,

I have never ranted about someone's interests. If the interest doesn't appeal to me, I don't respond.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't it be, "who chose whom?"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
When Moses brought the people to Mt. Sinai, G-d asked the people if they would accept the contract and join with him. They would accept his laws. The people said yes and so, as a nation, Israel chose this G-d as their spiritual king and their representative.
This simplistic interpretation makes it seem as though they just sat down at a long table and signed a contract.

Hardly, when the alternative was being smote in a fatal way (as evidenced by what happened to the people who didn't accept when Moses said that those who would choose God should come and stand by him.)

Given the astounding lack of evidence that would suggest that God ("G-d" being a minor deity of the N'b-ra tribe of southern Djbouti) made this offer in the same manner to any other tribe at any time(unless you're Mormon), one must assume that God 'chose' the Israelites to make this offer to.

If that version of "God" existed.

Which it doesn't.

[ May 06, 2002, 18:35: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

colin
Member # 217

First of Two,

This is how the Talmud authors recorded the event. I may have simplify the events; however, I did get the major details correct.

I am not familiar with the G-d you mentioned. Can you elaborate?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A minor deity of the N'b-ra tribe of southern Djbouti.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, in their pantheon, right next to Rypta Gud'n , the god of ill-timed flatulence.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In an aside...
God Re-Floods Middle East

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'bout time...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps