Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Here's an amazingly odd perspective...

Author Topic: Here's an amazingly odd perspective...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://slate.msn.com/?id=2065703

The article speaks for itself.
Opinions?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call it odd. I certainly believe that there's an answer for peace in this situation, but obviously it's not an easy answer.

I think the key point that this guy is trying to make is what he says in the last few sentences. Isreali and Arab goals/policies may never mesh, and as long as they don't, there's going to be conflict. Too many people on both sides have an "us or them" mentality, where they're each entitled to the ENTIRE area of Israel/Palestine.

And if that weren't enough, both sides are drowned in a tit-for-tat battle, because there's so much bad blood that there's always going to be someone who's been deeply affected by these tragedies, to the point where they seek to continue it.

I also agree with his point that the Israeli offensive seems to be working. From that perspective, the Palestinian Authority has been corrupt, inefficient, and ineffective. So they went in to stop things themselves. The flip side is, there's no one but Arafat who can really unify the Palestinians, and for that matter keep enough credibility to actually keep a chance of success.

What's even worse is, that even should one side try to break the cycle of violence, there's always going to be someone who's opposed to peace and will do something to keep the fighting going. Most obvious is the spate of suicide bombings -- just what did the people who plotted the last bomb attack expect would happen, when Israel had just started pulling out a little while before? And then there's the Israelis, like the settlers in the West Bank, and also lone radicals like the man who shot Prime Minister Rabin.

It's an unbroken cycle. Narn and Centauri, anyone?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great article, I mostly agree with it.

I agree with MinutiaeMan that it's certainly not an odd perspective. The dramatic decrease in suicide bombings by Palestinian extremists is an obvious success of Israel's military campaign in the Westbank. However, I must also agree that Arafat, however senile and distrustable, is the only one that can unify the Palestinians.

I think that in order to reach something of a solution for the conflict, changes in the Israeli political climate are necessary, since Arafat is obviously needed and I don't think that Palestine will see more progressive leaders in the near future. With Sharon and Netanyahu the dominant figures in Israeli politics, no reasonable solution will emerge from Israeli side. New progressive leaders must stand up in Israel. I've lately read about a poll among the Israeli citizens, where a significant percentage of the Israeli citizens seems to be for a peaceful solution of the conflict, and a poll in which a majority of Israeli's agrees with the formation of a Palestinian state.

But then, when the Palestinian state has become a reality, there will always be violent factions wanting to claim the entire Israeli territory on Palestinian side, and Jewish extremists advocating for reclaiming the Palestinian territory. Israel should also stop with new Jewish settlements in Palestinian territory.

I also think that the Israeli actions on the Westbank were a success. Israel should now begin a similar campaign on the Gaza Streak.

However, I think (hope) that in a free Palestina, groups like Hamas, Hezbollah, Al-Aqsa, etc. will see a decrease in popular support. There will never be 100% peace in the region, but with some luck, it can be 90% or something.

--------------------
Signature.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps