Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » This is even stupider. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: This is even stupider.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand...

This girl had a problem. She devised a solution. She planned how to implement that solution. And then she put the plan to action, quite successfully, it seems (hardly the norm for suicide attempts). She was in complete control of her life, more than most of us can claim to be.

She could have left the world on a pretty positive note after all. Mental problems? If they weren't problems for *her*, then screw them. If somebody wants to file a complaint, the worst he can do now is the old burying-in-unholy-ground trick. And the girl seems to have taken care of that, too.

I hope she had a fun ten years here.

Timo Saloniemi

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
On the other hand...

This girl had a problem. She devised a solution. She planned how to implement that solution. And then she put the plan to action, quite successfully, it seems (hardly the norm for suicide attempts).

Geez, sounds like you're almost talking about a suicide bomber.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I haven't heard of a suicide bomber who would actually have "solved" any problem by his or her actions. All those people manage to do is perpetuate the conflict they are in. [Mad]

This little girl seems to have set a humbler and more personal goal, and seems to have met it admirably, with the minimum of fuss. I just wonder if she wasn't a little bit proud towards the end? Actually, I hope so. I'd hate my last thought to be one of regret.

Timo Saloniemi

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course they're solving their problem.

Their problem: People of a different religion are in the Holy Land
What they want to do: Remove people of a different religion from the Holy Land
What they do: Kill people of a different religion
The result: Less people in the Holy Land who belong to a different religion

It all makes sense if you look at it from a different perspective. Sure its not the "majority" perspective, its not even the average Islamic perspective....but if you are a part of that belief system, then the logic is sound.

Even peace wouldn't solve anything for them because there would still be the belief that "infidels infesting are the Holy Land" or some such.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd hate to have a last thought.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, getting hit by a rifle round in the back of my head from a stray shot a mile away, whilst going on an autumn stroll through the park the day after my 80th birthday, that's a way to die!

Or, of course, in my bed, surrounded by family, also about 80-ish. Though not with the family carrying silver crucifixes and stakes, mind you.

And having your nuts bitten off by a Lapplander, that's a way to die!!! (had to)

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I remember a time where the pressure from my family to succeed at all costs drove me to jump off a building's roof."

Erm... I take it that it wasn't a very tall building? Considering that you're still here, and not a skeleton in a grave somewhere w/ extra joints...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he was rebuilt as some kind of half man, half electric turtle? And now he fights crime.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GLAAD would be pleased. The world needs more role models, after all.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Turtles most importantly. The only role model Turles that have ever existed are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles and Franklin. Franklin wasn't much of a hero as he seemed to get lost in a cave every day. Or maybe he never got out. Turtles are slow, you know.

The Ninja Turtles served no other purpose than to Champion America's new and apparently quite popular movement of Obesity. It's a wonder this nation is in trouble when the children of yesteryear were exposed to Crime Fighting Green Machines who ate upwards of 7800 calorie diets consisting solely of Pizza. And while the Turtles may have had enough of an excercise regimen to burn such excesses, children do not. I was not, despite my best efforts, a ninja when I was 6.

It's too bad that the legacy was something far less "heart attack causing", such as the word "Tubular". The world would be a skinnier, and more radical place to live.

[ May 24, 2002, 21:19: Message edited by: Ulcer Mongoose ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cowabunga, dude.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the fact that Shredder (who was one of the only cartoon villians who was even half way competent) was voiced by Uncle Phil from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air makes him as good as Dolph in my world-view. And my world-view is correct.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
And the fact that Shredder (who was one of the only cartoon villians who was even half way competent) was voiced by Uncle Phil from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air

That was hands down the coolest thing I learned today. Liam makes the world's supply of puppies quite unneccessary.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidentally, are Europeans afraid of Ninjas? During my short living tenure in the country that spawned both World Wars, I was only able to watch the "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles". Now, from what I do know, europeans are indeed a sensitive lot, but Ninja seems not to be as offensive as, say, calling the queen a whore and showing her boobies, which the Sun is oft proud to do. So what, my Brittonish friends, the "fuck"?.

Hero Turtles, damnit!

[ May 25, 2002, 23:45: Message edited by: The Ulcer Mongoose ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I'll never be able to look at the Shredder quite the same way again...
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps