Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » This is even stupider. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: This is even stupider.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he meant the phrase:

"drop out"

in relation to Ziyal's saying:
quote:
On the other hand, when I lived in Taiwan every so often you'd hear a blurb on the news about a student who jumped off a building because of school stress.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whereas I meant it in reference to:
quote:
I think from when I was little it was understood that if you fail in school, you fail in life, and even now I maintain high grades out of habit, because I can't bear the thought of anything else.
And the like.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think from when I was little it was understood that if you fail in school, you fail in life
Unfortunate but true... the sooner this dogma is abolished, the better.

Succeeding at any cost is all that seems to matter in today's society. Kids are under an extreme amount of pressure to perform. Basically they aren't even allowed to have a childhood.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can say that's the truth.

My parents were so unaccepting of failure, or even mistakes, that it hinders me to this day... I became, for a long time, afraid to do new things because I might screw up. I developed a phobia of authority figures.

A while back, during a parental disagreement, my dad asked me "Why don't you come to us with your problems?" And I finally had the courage to respond: "Because you always BIT MY ASS OFF when I made a mistake!"

(God, if I EVER hear the 'if you don't work with your brain, you'll work with your back' lecture again, I'll STRANGLE someone)

It's still there. It's been almost impossible for me to speak to my bosses about mistakes I've made, because I'm always afraid they'll fire me for the slightest thing. So I have panic attacks instead, until the situations get resolved. I almost always make it worse than it needed to be.

[ May 29, 2002, 16:38: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Explains a lot.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was mean VP, but damn funny.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, First of Two gets the prize, I did mean the drop out bit. But feel free to apply it to, well, pretty much anything really...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Explains a lot.
No, none of you are authority figures, so I can tell you the bald-faced truth.

Besides, growing up that way also taught me to always be right in the first place. [Big Grin]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I AM TEH AUTH0R1TY K1NG!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, Cartman dropped the ball on that one.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...so I can tell you the bald-faced truth."

You always have to flaunt your damn national symbols, don't you?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps