Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Executing the mentally retarded ... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Executing the mentally retarded ...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... is Unconsitutional, CNN is reporting. The Supreme Court just ruled on it moments ago.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, The_Tom ... there's no link (yet) or I'd've posted it.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BWC, you lucky bastard!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! We can still make Downs Jokes!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/20/scotus.executions/index.html
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's only "cruel and unusual" because they're "unusual and retarded."
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

It's good to know someone is still his usual charming self.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this is good for the actually retarded, at least.

Just so long as "Me retarded" doesn't become the new "twinkie" defense.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even a retard isn't necessarily beyond comprehending what murder is.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think that being retarded should be a mitigating factor, but only if it can be shown that the individual is so under normal that they cannot understand what it was they did and why it was wrong. in other words, i think it should be approached in the same way that mental illness is approached.
IP: Logged
The BWC
Ex-Member

I think that the death penalty should be carried out on any individual if it is serious enough, like putting a bomb in a building or other crimes of that level.
Except for that, I agreee with EdipisReks.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
being retarded should be a mitigating factor...it should be approached in the same way that mental illness is approached
Maybe I'm missing something here...
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the space there, on the left side of the right... It then all equals out in the beginning....

retardation and a mental illness are different... like losing ones mind, which is a terrible thing to have..... as opposed to not having had said mind from the beginning.... and not being able to learn that you did not have said mind at any point in time....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

quote:
Sol System: Maybe I'm missing something here...
what's not to understand? for those who are mentally ill, it generally goes like this: if you are crazy, but sane enough that you understand what you did and can tell between right and wrong, you can stand trial and get whatever punishment deemed correct by the court if you are convicted. if you are so crazy you don't know what the fuck you did and you don't understand right and wrong then you go to a mental institution.

i think that if you are retarded but are smart enough to understand what you did, and you understand right and wrong, then you should be elligible for the death penalty if there is a death penalty in your state. if you are so retarded that you don't understand what you did, and you don't know right from wrong, then you shouldn't be elligible for the death penalty. got it straight, now? mental retardation has degrees just as mental illness has degrees. a blanket statement that ALL people who are mentally retarded, regardless of the degree of that mental retardation, should be spared makes no more sense than saying that ALL people who are mentally ill, to any degree, should not be responsible for their crime.

quote:
The BWC: Except for that, I agreee with EdipisReks.
NOOOOOOOOOO!i must change my opinion, and fast!

quote:
Ritten: Yes, the space there, on the left side of the right... It then all equals out in the beginning....

retardation and a mental illness are different... like losing ones mind, which is a terrible thing to have..... as opposed to not having had said mind from the beginning.... and not being able to learn that you did not have said mind at any point in time....

dude, i don't think you are going to have to worry about being executed.

[ June 20, 2002, 20:18: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.