Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Executing the mentally retarded ... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Executing the mentally retarded ...
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I'm not going to delete the above because I don't like the idea of censuring myself: You should Take the above with a grain of salt. I'm in a bad mood.

Which is why I'll never be on the Supreme Court.

The Real Folk Blues
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Airplanes are not vehicles, for instance, in the legal definition of the term
incorrect. they are still vehicles, but crimes involving damaging airplanes are simply different than those involving other vehicles due to the extent of damages possible with an airplane over, say, a razor scooter. mental retardation is, by definition, not an illness. it can be result of an illness, but it itself is not an illness. baldness is not an illness. it can be the result of an illness, but it itself is not an illness. mental illness and its treatment in the legal system is dealt with from a causality standpoint. mental retardation and its treatment in the legal system should be dealt with from a resultant standpoint. these treatments can be/(are) similar, but not the same. just as mental retardation and mental illness can be/(are) similar, but they are not the same.

what. do. you. not. un. der. stand. a. bout. that?

IP: Logged
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a person with intention to hurt someone, resulting in a manslaughter, or intention to kill, resulting in murder, should get the electric chair regardless of his/her mental state.

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But here's the problem: yes mental cases do have an awareness and even the ability to 'cure' themselves of their mental problems. However the ones who have some sort of mental diease (the brain which is not fully developed, missing parts, or even just not working properly) really have little to no hope of 'curing' their diease, unless someone comes up with a pill or a shot that can increase brain size, (might as well as for world hunger and war to stop), it'll never happen.

Most people who kill are fulyl aware that they killed someone (even a really big part of the cases where they are proclaimed mentally unstable are fully aware). People with the mental disease (again smaller brain and such) will not be fully aware of that they killed someone and that's a seriously bad thing to do.

I remember 8 years ago, I visited the home for the Mentally Challanged, two of the 'residents' got into a fight and nearly killed each other because one person was eating. The others were even choosing sides which to fight as well. When they fight, it's extremely dangerous to break them up.

To kill someone because they have a smaller brain is just like saying we should kill the handicapped because they can't walk, talk, breathe, listen, and so on.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueElectron:
I think a person with intention to hurt someone, resulting in a manslaughter, or intention to kill, resulting in murder, should get the electric chair regardless of his/her mental state.

That alone could probably cause an energy shortage. And, given the cost and time to actually reach an execution, be prepared to watch your taxes skyrocket, and the criminal justice system implode, if all manslaughter cases would be considered capital crimes.

What ever happened to rehabilitating criminals, or the notion that a convicted man has a chance to "pay his debt" to society and then rejoin it?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BE, I'm afraid an English chap named Eric beat you to advocating the prosecution of ThoughtCrime about fifty years ago. Or possibly not.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yo, I didn't say you should be prosecuted for your tought or intention, I said you should be prosecuted for your captial crime resulting from your thought or intention.

And the rehabilitation stuff, in my opinion, it's total bull. All that "he can become a better man" catch phrase is absolute unrealistic crap coming from super goody goody "Nad Flander" type liberals who can't see what's going on in the real world. Face it, a murderer can never be a productive member of our society, and he will remain as a time bomb ready to go off at any time.

I think prison system are there to PUNISHED those guilt, and death penality is there to weed out the absolute garbages of our society, it will save society a lot of money in the short run and the long run.

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To kill everyone who is mentally retarded will bring Earth's population down to 3 billion.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

BlueElectron
Member # 281

I did not say we should kill all the mentally retarded people.

I said we should fry all the guilty murderer whether he's retarded or not.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Oh, what would constitute them being absolute garbage of society? I think if you killed someone and knew you did it, you should get the chair. Mass bombings, you should be shot on the spot. But thats just me.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueElectron:
Face it, a murderer can never be a productive member of our society, and he will remain as a time bomb ready to go off at any time.

:::blinks violently::: I could quite easily murder someone & have nearly done so on several occasions. I would still define myself as a "productive member of our society."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
I think if you killed someone and knew you did it, you should get the chair. Mass bombings, you should be shot on the spot.

Perfecto! I couldn't of said it better!
IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck due process! Fuck your Constitutionally-guaranteed rights!

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

[ June 24, 2002, 20:36: Message edited by: Snay ]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
crap coming from super goody goody "Nad Flander" type
YES!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No-one's flanding my nads, I can tell you that right now...
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps