Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » California - a state of mind (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: California - a state of mind
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They seem to be leading the US in terms of common sense.. California's new policy on cars (And their leniency on cannabis use is well documented, too [Wink] )

It seems a bit strange to me that they'd be taking a strong stance on global warming, despite the fact that Bush's policy of ignoring the Kyoto agreement worked in their favour when they were having power shortages a while back.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The car industry argues that the standards will impose extra production costs, raise prices for consumers and force people into smaller cars than they would want.

Yep. Because what they don't realize is: I can crush your tiny toyota like a empty beer can with my mighty SUV. Sure, it only gets three miles to the gallon, but I can Off road the Rocky Mountains along with my entire extended family. When I throw down the hammer, shit happens.

Not like your car, which is only good for driving to work, and maybe to 7-11 to pick up a Big Gulp. My SUV can handle the all terrain holocaust that'll surely happen when the democrats return to office. I can go plateau jumping in Monument Valley. All the commercials are true. Women are in awe of my massive gear shift. The rumble of 900 plus horse power makes them cling to me in joy the way cellophane sticks to watermelons.

Everything the Car Industry says is true, by god, and I'll stomp a mudhole in the man who says otherwise. Having a Big, Expensive Vehicle is the American Dream.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It explains Jeff, at any rate...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a related story, prices for new-model cars in California are expected to climb 50% by 2009.

Is Global Warming happening? Maybe.
If it is, is there anything you can do about it? Probably about as much as you can do about sunshine.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You seem to presuppose that higher car prices are a bad thingtm.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um. It does? Compared to a lot of SUVs, my Wrangler is very tiny.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lower-friction tire tread? So, as long as polution decreases, it's A-okay to have cars sliding every which way around the roads every time it rains?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering how most SUV's have huge fat tires which each produce more friction than the threads of your average Abrams tank, I don't see a lot of harm in that legislative tidbit.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but do they have contact patches the size of a fat woman's thighs? Can they launch a pound of bacon into the asteroid belt? And so on?
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES! THE JOKE IS GOT!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. There's a name change that's likely to get you yelled at...

Except that you apparently changed it back again while I was posting, so now it makes no sense. Nevermind.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My curiosity is now piqued.

*Looks at ThoughCriminal's profile*

Hang on, something's not right there...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leonard Maltin?!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be worse.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are the worst reviewer ever.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps