Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Forum Competitions » Quote Association (Page 1)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Quote Association
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, time to try something a little (very little) different.

Rules:

1) You have to supply a quote.
2) This quote must have at least one word in common, or a common source. Words such as "the" and "and" and "I" are not acceptable.
3) Quotes must be at least two words long.
4) Quotes must come from an identifyable, confirmable source.

*modified*

5) If the source for your quote is someone you know, or is anonymous, you must provide a link to another page with the quote on it.
6) You can under no circumstances quote yourself.

Enjoy, everyone.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited January 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited January 21, 2001).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." - H. G. Wells

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Can not run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This... is wrong tool." Zathras

Fine!! Post while I'm posting :P

and why are the timestamps so far apart??
------------------
"President Bush. It's fun saying that. Go ahead, you try." - M. Lucinsky, Spectrum Editor

[This message has been edited by Jeff Raven (edited January 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jeff Raven (edited January 21, 2001).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall." --Minstel

Omega, this is really a great idea. One proposed amendment, though: what if the quote from the person you know is itself identifiable & confirmable by way of being posted on a website?

------------------
"Reading snow is like listening to music. To describe what you've read is like explaining music in writing." ---Smilla Jaspersen

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why all the unnecessary rules? Just say that it's a word association, but using only quotes...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, otherwise, you could just say something, and say, "That's a quote; from ME!"

I thought about that, Shik, though it might make things a little too restrictive. Some people probably wouldn't play if they had to to actual work in the process.

"To know everything would be impractical;
access time would be exceedingly high"
- from the TV series `Mann and Machine'

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, this looks like it could be fun - nice one, O ultimate-greek-lettered person. . .

"I see everything twice!"

- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Everything was behind him, and ahead of him was the ragged and ecstatic joy of pure being." --Jack Kerouac

Omega: I only asked because I can think of a couple people who deserve to be quoted, & if I can link to the verifiable source....yeah.

------------------
"You just push off....and the falling sort of happens on its own." ---Dave Titus

Omega
Member # 91

My bad habit of reading too quickly has once again bitten me on the rear. I misunderstood your suggestion. Rules have been appended.

"He was determined to discover the underlying logic behind the universe. Which was going to be hard, because there wasn't one."
- Terry Pratchett, `Mort'

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

Shik
Member # 343

"They were trapped between fire and ice--until Lucifer exploded in their sky and opened up their universe." ---Arthur C. Clarke, 2061: Odyssey Three, chapter 32

Thanks, Omega. I know that at some point I'll probably want to quote Rykja or Burke.

------------------
"You just push off....and the falling sort of happens on its own." ---Dave Titus

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"They mostly come at night mostly."

(Rebecca Jordan, Aliens. -I newt you'd come)

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Shik
Member # 343

"Storm-clouds whirl and storm-clouds scurry;
From behind them pale moonlight
Flickers where the snowflakes hurry.
Dark the sky and dark the night."

--"Devils," (1830), Aleksandr Pushkin

(edited for spelling error)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Shik (edited January 21, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"If the radiance of a thousand suns
Were to burst at once into the sky,
That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
I am become Death,
The shatterer of Worlds."
-the Bhagavad-Gita

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Go, then - there are other worlds than this."

- Stephen King, The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"What if you found a portal to a parallel universe? What if you could slide into a thousand different worlds, where it's the same year and you're the same person, but everything else is different? And what if you can't find your way home?"

- Sliders prologue

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps