Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Forum Competitions » Identify This Music! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Identify This Music!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know. I'm bad at coming up with names, okay?

Anyway, if this is remotly successful (ie, more than two people respond), I shall keep a league. First person to identify the song shall get the most points, then the second place will get less, and so on. I'll deceide on the exact points when I see how many people enter. At the moment, it'll probably be

1st 5 points
2nd 3 points
3rd 2 points
4th 1 point.

I want song AND artist.

The songs will be a variety of things, uncommon enough that this will be a bit tricky, but not so obscure that only Simon will get it.

To start with, I have two pieces. The second piece requires a conductor. The first doesn't.

They're only about 6 second long clips, so don't worry about big downloads. They are mp3's, so if you haven't got an mp3 player, then what bloody year are you living in?

First Piece

Second piece

I'll add a bonus point if someone can come up with an amusing tag-line or alternative name for either of the tunes.

If too many people get it, I'll have to make it harder. Of course, if no-one gets it, I'll just post the entire US national anthem.

I shall judge this when I want. I rule.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn. These are tough. I have absolutly no clue, although the second one sounds VERY familiar.
IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First is (Correct-Liam)

Second sounds like bit of (Also correct-Liam)
I think. 8)

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did that for two reasons.

1/ Lee's a bastard for getting them so soon.
2/ I want to see other peoples guesses.

If anyone else guesses correctly, I might edit the answers out, or I might not. I want to see which way works the best. If lots of people guess correctly, then I'll have to think up another idea. Or make the clips harder. I don't want to do it by e-mail, cause that takes the social fun out of it. And social fun is good.

Don't worry. If I edit them out, you've still won. And I'll put them back in once this is finished.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May we ask questions of your worship?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't the slightest idea what either one is...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Tsk.

If no-one's got them by tonight, then I'll make them an ickle bit longer.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! I got the power up and won the game!

I have no idea what that means, but I gather it's traditional to say it at this juncture. C'mon, guys, don't give up, have a go! While I doubt the ability of the average Flaregoer to get the first, you'll all be kicking yourselves if you don't get the second. . .

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the first one is outside of my music tastes, but the second one sounds vaguely like (*snip* - very very close, but I need it to be more specific Chris. - Liam)

[ June 26, 2001: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Outside your music tastes? How can you tell from 6 seconds of guitars? I mean, excluding music with guitars from your musical tastes excludes, well, pretty much anything good.

BTW, it does need to be fairly specific.

As en example, if I posted the "Ode to Joy" section from Beethoven's 9th, then saying "Ode to Joy" wouldn't be enough. You'd have to say "Beethoven's 9th, Ode to Joy section", or preferebly, "9th symphony, 4th movement".

Likewise, if I posted Han & Leia's theme from Empire, then just saying "Star Wars", or "The Empire Strikes back" wouldn't be enough. I'd need "John Williams" and "Han Solo & the Princess". Although I might let you off with "Han & Leia's love theme from Empire, by John Williams".

I do reserve the right to completely change my mind though.

--------------------

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good God man! What do you expect from us?! Sheesh! John Sousa's march "Semper Fidelis", Mastery's edition 12 of 1983, page 2, line 4, first expression. Again, I say sheesh. Anyway, the second one does sound extremely familiar, but I just can't place it.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first piece is the little known demo tape that Britney Spears sent the studios called, "Me So Horney, Honey." It will be included on her third album "I Did You One More Time."

The second piece is definitely(*late snip* Exactly right - Liam)

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... I finally saw some answers before Liam deleted them. If Ziggy's second answer is right, I'm not going to kick myself for not knowing it. I would never expect myself to know that...
Lee
Member # 393

Tut. Liam should have taken account of the fact that even he has to sleep sometime. . .

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I do?

Damn you Lee. You have spotted the tiny flaw in my master plan.

Well, Tim said he wasn't going to get it anyway, so we can ignore him. Still, can anyone think of a better system? The only other one I can think of is that everyone ICQ's/e-mails/does that private message thing that this board can apparently do/sends a carrier pidgeon to me, and then I put the post up myself.

Carry on...

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps