Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Forum Competitions » New game I made up: Crack the code I (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New game I made up: Crack the code I
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The forum is mostly populated be nerds anyways so why not! LOL. Try and crack the code!!!

Kyztvmjsbmgeyzu!!! Oys kvmkij gfi kyji!!!

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyztvmjsbmgeyzu!!! Oys kvmkij gfi kyji!!!

Or:

Hi guys! I don't have a life!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Congradulations!!! You craced the code!!!"

That was so easy, it isn't even funny. And I think you should check how to spell "congratulations" and "cracked".

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
K = C
y = o
z = n
t = g
v = r
m = a
j = d???
s = u
b = l
m = a (2nd)
g = t
e = i
y = o (2nd)
z = n (2nd)
u = s

O = Y
y = o (3d)
s = u (2nd)

k = c (2nd)
v = r (2nd)
m = a (3d)
k = c (3d)
i = e
j = d (2nd)

g = t (2nd)
f = h
i = e (2nd)

k = c (4th)
y = o (4th)
j = d (3d)
i = e (3d)

Easy.

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: The_Evil_Lord ]

MIB
Ex-Member

GRRRRR! ok. fine. Maybe that was easy. The next one will be tough! I promise!!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since, yes, I'm sure it was easy, try this one, possibly equally as easy:

@$= "" ^A#% "" ZWY "" HZB$ "" 7*A~9 "" &$3 "" KF$HI "" 5+N~4 "" ZWY

Since it looked unspaced before, I've added double quotations to indicate spaces between words. Good luck!

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: Daniel ]

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. I put it together in 10 minutes.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

MIB
Ex-Member

hmph. You got me man. I'm having a super hard time figuring this out.
Daniel
Member # 453

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! *ahem* Sorry. I'll tell those that want to know.

--------------------

MIB
Ex-Member

Tell me! Tell me!! You can sen me a private message.
Daniel
Member # 453

PM sent! Don't kill me!

--------------------

MIB
Ex-Member

Damn Dan!! You are evil!!! LOL. If I may. How is anyone gonna figure that out? you really cannot figure out any pattern to it. It's simply X=X The only way to figure it out is to do trial and error with god only knows how many combinations. hehe. You're evil!!
Daniel
Member # 453

Well, they WANTED something hard. This is nearly impossible. For several reasons, as I explained.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 : one
4 : one
5 : one
7 : one
9 : one
Two gaps, remaining: [[0, 1, 2]], [[6, 8]].

~ : two
@ : one
# : one
$ : four
% : one
^ : one
& : one
* : one
= : one
+ : one
Two gaps, remaining: [[!]], [[(, ), _]].

A : two
B : one
F : one
H : two
I : one
K : one
N : one
W : two
Y : two
Z : three
Six gaps, remaining: [[C, D, E]], [[G]], [[J]], [[L, M]], [[O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V]], [[X]].

Ten letters from the alphabet are used, as well as five out of ten numbers, and 10 out of 13 shifted characters. Total = 25: this could mean the encrypter swapped around certain letters for numbers, and certain other letters for shifted numbers.

So, our little mistery sentence contains nine words in total... we also know there has to be a logical system behind the code... a pattern that will reveal how to translate the message (if, on the other hand, all characters were randomly chosen, it might take a *VERY* long time to find one possible solution).

The problem lies here: where should we start? Usually in these sorts of puzzles, once you've figured out a single letter, the rest follows easily. But in this case, it's hard to form a frame of reference. Thus, we need to resort to a little trial and error, as well as a bit of old-fashioned logic (assuming the sentence is grammatically correct).

Notice the recurring combination 'ZWY'. Three letters... which English noun or verb could it represent? 'and', 'the', 'can', 'you'... endless possibilities: the 'Z' is the 26th, the 'W' is the 23d, and the 'Y' the 25th letter in the alphabet (all located fairly close to eachother!): from this, we can deduct that the corresponding "real" letters must be similarly closely grouped. This excludes 'and', 'the', 'can', 'you'... we must find alternatives, specifically, a word in which the first letter is one alphabetical step higher than the third, and the second three steps lower than the first. We could try to brute-force this:

aXX, bXa, cXb, dac, ebd, fce, gdf, heg, ifh, jgi, khj, lik, mjl, nkm, oln, pmo, qnp, roq, spr, tqs, urt, vsu, wtv, xuw, yvx, zwy, Xxz, XyX, XzX, XXX.

...Which doesn't yield anything useful. This leads to the conclusion that the letters that constitute the combination were randomly picked. Annoying, but we aren't out of options yet. After all, we still have ' @$= ' and ' &$3 ' to mess around with! These both occur one single time, but they share the '$' character. It's likely to be a vowel, since it's placed in a central position. Also, all the shifted characters follow a pattern: '+' is the twelfth shifted characted counted from the left, while '@' is the third.

If '$' were 'a', then '@' would not exist. Keeping this in mind, let's go over the different values for '$':

@ = X : $ = a : '=' = i
@ = c : $ = e : '=' = m
@ = g : $ = i : '=' = q
@ = m : $ = o : '=' = w
@ = s : $ = u : '=' = X

...Which yields Xai, cem, giq, mow, suX. Again, no useful outcome. This leaves us with one final option: &$3. But there's a catch: it contains an unshifted number. We have no way to directly know in which sequence the code is supposed to go (or even IF there is a sequence at all!): "1, 2, 3... @, #, $..., A, B, F..." or "@, #, $..., A, B, F..., 1, 2, 3" or... there are six ways, and a LOT of possible interpretations. Trying to figure out each combination would be foolish (and consume more of my time than I can afford )... we are left with one route of escape - discovering which letters have been swapped for numbers, and which for shifted numbers. But there is a caveat here too: some letters have been swapped themselves!

[This is a work in progress...]

MIB
Ex-Member

What do ya say dan? Shold I tell him how the code works?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps