Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Forum Competitions » Crack the code II: Trinary (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Crack the code II: Trinary
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a little code I made up. Good luck! I promised the next code would be hard. And I will keep that promise.

00202 00022 00012 00020 00110 00001 00200 00012 00020 00120 00200 00210 00111 00201 00200 00120 00010 00102!!!

Each set of numbers represent 1 letter. I put spaces between them so it would be easier to figure the whole thing out. Good luck!!!

IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Flare Forums rock!!!

*yawn*

Come on, you can do better than that. Took me ten minutes.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega, have you tried mine? Just want to see if mine is easy too.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? Ten minutes? THAT long? Ok, so I cheated a bit on this one, I wrote a little script to convert the values
MIB
Ex-Member

What?!?! Damn! You are good Omega. Why don't you explain the code to every one Omega?

I'll do better in Crack the Code III. I just need to develope a new one first.

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bender: "I had a nightmare, there were ones and zeros everywhere, and I think I saw a two."

Fry: "There's no such thing as two."

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really a simple matter if you understand how basic mathematics works. But, since I'm bored and currently have nothing else to do, I'll explain it.

Normally we use the decimal (Arabian) system to count and index items. We start at zero and end at nine. When we want to represent ten (for which there is no single number, obviously), we simply make the rightmost digit a zero, add another digit to the left of the figure, and set that 1 to one. We've moved up a step - a decimal. To represent greater values, we manipulate the right digit until it reaches nine again, after which the left one gets its value raised by one. This process repeats itself until both digits' value equals nine - then it starts over, with a third digit set to one, and the other two to zero.

I've described to you in somewhat clumsy language something which you all (presumably) have already mastered. Everyone knows how it's done, except maybe not all understand *why* it's done this way - for instance, why isn't eight the highest value we 'use' before adding a new decimal, or seven, or five, or any other number, or even a letter? Well, thank the Arabs. They could have arbitrarily decided otherwise (there's more to it, but my memory is a haze right now), but what they came up with was based on their daily needs.

Computers, despite our best efforts, are still mind-bogglingly dumb. They only do what we tell them to, when we tell them to, and how we tell them to (yes, I know Windows might *on occasion* not make it seem that way, but it's all a matter of flawed programming logic). Moreover, they can only 'count' (rather, make the distinction between) 0's and 1's - electricity either flows, or it doesn't - the entire operation of a computer is based on that principle. Manipulating tiny currents is all a computer is capable of. A binary system was/is thus a logical representation of the inner workings of a PC.

So, instead of counting from zero to nine, we now count from zero to one beforing adding a decimal - the same method, but less efficient, since we need much more digits to represent the same value in decimal notation, i.e. '4' is '100': a magnification factor of three. The ratio gets worse (fast) the larger decimal numbers are, which is why a new CPU-architecture is so badly needed and pushed for - a 32-bit processor can deal with binary values (without having to chunk 'm up) that are 65536 times larger than a 16-bit CPU could. But a 64-bit processor can eat values for breakfast that are 4294967296 times larger than those a 32-bit machine could swallow (you'll note that 65536 is the square root of 4294967296 - in other words, the CPU's ability to crunch figures is multiplied by itself)! Naturally, this is an enormous gain - and a necessity created by the nature of having only 0's and 1's to count with.

Almost done with the comp. science lesson (it's my major, you see), let us get down to the 'cracking' part. We've already learned that *everything* on a computer is internally represented as zeros and ones. That means that the letters, symbols, function keys, and the other funky buttons on your keyboard all have their own (binary) values which get send to the CPU when you press their respective keys. When you type 'a', you really tell the computer '1100001' (this is almost right, the keyboard sends it's own little I.D. code along with the number - but I digress). This is where the ASCII standard peeks around the corner - it's an agreement between the founding computer corporations to use decimal values between 0 and 255 for normal and 'special' characters - the weird thingies you get by holding down the ALT key and typing a number. Thus, the letter 'a' in ASCII equals 97, which in turns equals 1100001 in binary. Get it (you'd better!)?

Now we've moved from binary to trinary: instead of counting to one, we go up to two before we add a decimal. So, 0 = 0, 1 = 1, 2 = 2, 3 = 10, 4 = 11, 5 = 12, 6 = 20... and so forth. If we want to translate the seemingly illegible jibberish, all we have to do is convert the numbers back to binary form, find the matching ASCII values, and work those over to plain text. Easy, non?

There's probably a billion errors of various sorts in this reply, and by the time I've posted it somebody else most likely beat me to the punch with a far more comprehensible explanation, but... I was bored

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: The_Evil_Lord ]

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fsbw mwpwlwKHMHO pshs LHMHOKHNHOjEmEdu LHMHOKHMHOIHNHO mwpwlwaEdwjwmwiwIHNHOKHMHOIHMHO bwKHMHOeEKHMHOhu IHvGbwjwmE jwmE hspsIHvGbsjshsLHrGhu fCluaHNG
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waaaaay too much info, Charles.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

what did he say?!?! Send me a private message!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you 18? I didn't think so!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 22, so will you send me a PM telling me what the heck Charles said?
MIB
Ex-Member

I'm 18 and R rated!!! COM'ON MAN!!!!
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Daniel, yours is still a mystery, though I think it has something to do with MIB.

As for Charles's...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

In the interest of maintaining people's sanity, and at least a mediocre respect for Charles, I won't post his message.

Sick Charles! Sick sick sick sick sick!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps