Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Forum Competitions » Try this code then (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Try this code then
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JYAL XZNQYHDCQ BM V PLSFXVJ HHZ

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ummmm

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
MIB
Ex-Member

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X YZ

You got me man. I've have been spending the last 45 minutes trying to figure it out. I have failed.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nasty, I won't deny that, but I still believe it is a valid code, or algorithm involving a specific mathematical property. I hope I haven't broken any 'unwritten rules' devising it...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, assuming that this is a standard A=Z transliteration puzzle, then V has to be either A or I. But HHZ? What the heck could that be? The only word I can think of that starts with two of the same letter is "eel".

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless the word is written backwards - that would allow "All, Ass...". Obviously, there's more to this code than a simple swapping of letters. V = A doesn't lead to anything concrete; V = I seems equally useless. Yet V has to stand for one of these vowels... if only we could deduct one more letter, that would allow us to set up a matrix to crack it. Right now all we know is that 22 = 1, or 22 = 9.
MIB
Ex-Member

I was having the exact same thoughts about this code Omega. I also considered the possibility that is is writtin backwards so HHZ might be ass or odd or boo. I suggest we concentrate on the 'BM' part. It can be, at, as, an, if, is, be, to.....

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

I've been a right bastard with this. But 'HHZ' will be translated into a word where the two H's represent different letters - yes different letters.

I'm sorry, this is a bit unfair, I don't know if it can be cracked unless you know 'where' to start.

Here is a clue. This is not a basic A-Z puzzle where certain letters replace other letters. Mathmatics is involved. But to such a degree, that anyone using this code to send a message would see different lettering schemes produced each time. It would of course work fine as long as the person at the other end knew the rules.

--------------------

The ASDB

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But to such a degree, that anyone using this code to send a message would see different lettering schemes produced each time.

You mean this message (so that, if I sent this to somebody twice in a row, the lettering scheme would not be identical)? Or different ones?
There is no way (not without computers, anyway) to crack this message if your answer is yes to the second question, since the mathematics can be infinitely complex.

MIB
Ex-Member

ohhhhh nice angel!!! hehe

Like the numeric representation of H is 8. H as the first letter of a word would maybe translate into 8x1 or 8 to the 1st power. The other H is the second letter and there for it would be like 8x2 or 8 to the second power. That way, one letter in a code can be translated into a number of different letters depending on it's position in the word. hmmmmmm facinating. I'm gonna continue to work on this.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Evil_lord: The answer is no on your question. 'This' particular message in the first post would be the same every time, but different messages would have entirely different code letter schemes representing the real letters. It sounds horrifically complex, and would be to crack, I myself wouldn't have a clue looking at it. But it was so very simple to devise, and would be equally simple to decode if one had the formula.

MIB: Yes, you're along the right lines absolutely.

--------------------

The ASDB

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh... so it probably has something to do with the location of the letter in the word or sentence...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Yes, the first letter of the sentence is the key, in this instance 'J'

--------------------

The ASDB

MIB
Ex-Member

J=the number 10. It is the first number in a sentance that contains 26 letters. There are 26 letters in the alphabet, but that may be a coincedence.

J=10 there are 4 letters in the word, J being the first letter. Soooo I guess it would mean a set of numbers like 10,1,4 J is the 1st letter of a 4 letter word. I'm guessing you have to do some type of mathematical formula involving these numbers to get the correct letter. Simply adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing the numbers doesn't do squat. hmmmmmm.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

J does equal 10. 26 letters in the sentence/alphabet is a coincidence.

--------------------

The ASDB

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.