Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Forum Competitions » The DS9 Twenty (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The DS9 Twenty
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but in "Sands and Symbols" (or whatever it is, the 2nd episode of the 7th season), Sisko says that Benny was a false vision sent by the Pah Wraiths. One could argue that "Far Beyond the Stars" was also a false vision sent by the Pah Wraiths to distract the Emissary.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
"Captain De Soto WAS seen, though."

Yes, but not on DS9. I should've been more specific, though -- I did want characters unique to DS9.

You WERE specific: "1. Name two characters who are mentioned by DS9 cast members, yet have never been seen in any episode of any series, nor ever portrayed by actors."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you're right. Yeah, that other guy was dumb!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!

(when did we see Captain DeSoto?)

ETA: Oh. "Tin Man"

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to discount "Far Beyond the Stars" from continuity even moreso than "Threshold" (VOY). Because it was dumb.

And who mentioned DeSoto on DS9... Dax? I remember he was Riker's former CO and got mentioned a few times on TNG.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Far Beyond the Stars" is one of the best hours of television ever, diminished somewhat by returning to the concept in "Sands and Symbols."

And also by the fact that this random sci-fi writer would write about a pretty boring space station in the middle of nowhere as opposed to - ya know - a ship where interesting stuff happens.

And DeSoto was mentioned by Nog with the thing about the desks in "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River" but I could've sworn he was mentioned more than that on DS9.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snay hadn't gotten to season 7 yet in his re-runs.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Asexual" just means he reproduces all by himself. The use of "he" or "him" could simply be a convention in English, due to the fact that "it" is generally perceived as insulting when used to refer to a person.

Or, hey, if we really want to get theoretical... Maybe his species was once sexual and had two genders. Then they somehow evolved into asexuality, but retained their gender dimorphism. Who knows?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another word is parturition. They recently discovered SHARKS that have reproduced like that... there were three females in a tank - there were never any males there and one became pregnant. It was the largest vertebrate example of such a thing happening. Supposedly they've found it in most "families" now except mammals.

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mammals are a class, not a family. Don't you know taxonomy?!

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tax on me, that what the IRS does, right?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
Mammals are a class, not a family. Don't you know taxonomy?!

LOL - I couldn't remember which level it was under - I only knew it was somewhere in the middle that is why I put families in inverted commas.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, you mean quotation marks?

I read about that shark thing. They did a DNA analysis on the baby and found it to be contain only DNA from the mother. Kind of weird that something like that that's never been seen before could just "happen" out of the blue.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

what is the difference between inverted commas and quotation marks??

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the shark was conceived by the midichlorians.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps