Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » PIC 2x03 "Assimilation" ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: PIC 2x03 "Assimilation" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never got around to posting about the last episode, but I do have to say this episode managed to dodge my worst fear about it: Having to go through another entire episode of escaping all over again. Yeah, Season 1 had such terrible pacing issues that I legit thought that would happen. Luckily, Mr. Hansen ("No, I'm not Mr. Pond, that's not how it works." "Yeah, it is.") and his goons get dealt with pretty fast.

Elnor... dies. And nobody is sure if restoring the timeline will bring him back.

La Sirena successfully time travels back to 2024. While the time travel isn't anywhere near as trippy as that in The Voyage Home, there's still just enough trippyness that it must be an homage.

Poor Rios. He materializes a story above ground, whacks his head on a fire escape, hits the sidewalk hard.

Despite everything, Seven seems to really be enjoying being able to interact with folks without her Borg implants freaking folks out.

Okay, so, my biggest issue with the episode is with Jurati. So she can just connect to the Borg Queen via a tubule without getting physically assimilated or infected by nanoprobes? I call hax. Although I did get a pretty good laugh out of her afterwards naming a file "Shit I stole from the Borg Queen".

Rios gets patched up by a doctor that is giving off very strong Rain Robinson vibes, and then gets arrested by INS. Poor Rios just can't catch a break, can he?

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m sure Elnor is only *mostly* dead. Especially when there’s Borg nanoprobes around…

That connection between Jurati and the Queen felt awfully convenient, I agree. But her subconscious conversation with Picard made it worthwhile.

I didn’t take the time to freeze-frame, but I kinda hope they took the time to place the Chronowerx logo on the LA metro building in those cityscape shots!

Picard crashed the alt-La Sirena near Chateau Picard, it appears. Not entirely sure why yet.

And I saw a post on Twitter that noticed that the butterfly logo for the clinic Rios was taken to was also a logo on some of the medical supplies that Seven was protecting in episode 1. Hmm, watch out for (temporal) butterflies, eh?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope Elnor stays dead. He's pointless. Also pointless is why shit's being dragged out. We're 30% done & gone nowhere.

I bet the doctor ends up starting the Rios clan. Predestination & all that.

Where are the Bell Riots?

This just all feels....dumb.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bell Riots started in September 2024.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m assuming Elnor’s temporarily dead so they don’t have to deal with the fact that he’s an alien in 2024 Earth.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make him totally dead.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, could do without Elinor for this. We’ve done “pointy-eared people in (then) present day California” twice already, that seam’s mined out.

It does seem to be doing a lot of establishing. That’s OK if done right - some of the Marvel TV shows have been similar, Hawkeye especially.

But then then in Star Trek time travel, there are always COMPLICATIONS, aren’t there? Gotta get protons from a nuclear wessel to regenerate the dilithium crystals. Find the injured crewmember. Escape from the loony militia weirdoes who think you’re a space alien come to anally probe them. Get arrested as a (LOL) illegal alien. Get your vital future tech gizmo back.

Jurati’s going to turn out to be the masked Borg Queen on the Stargazer, isn’t she?

Wonder what the thought process was in choosing which Starfleet classes would make appropriate Confederation ones? Did the whole budget go on *checks notes* … painting a picture… of the CSS World Razer?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Member # 343

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Jurati’s going to turn out to be the masked Borg Queen on the Stargazer, isn’t she?

Nice shout!

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Wonder what the thought process was in choosing which Starfleet classes would make appropriate Confederation ones? Did the whole budget go on *checks notes* … painting a picture… of the CSS World Razer?

All those STO designs suck. Also, we know those Novas & Steamrunners were evil because their deflectors were red.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All those STO designs suck. Also, we know those Novas & Steamrunners were evil because their deflectors were red.
Well, I'm literally never watching Knight Rider the same way again.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bloody hell, just realised this was directed by Lea Thompson out of Back To The Future. Well, it’s not like I’m ever going to sit through the credits more than once. Have you noticed it’s literally producers, endless producers, all being listed in ones and twos for about 90 seconds?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don’t even know what little one does to qualify as an executive producer these days. And so many shows make the stars EPs too after a few seasons. As Futurama once said, “It’s a meaningless title that helps insecure people feel better about themselves.” [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Lea Thompson directs next week's episode as well.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I'm going to add that I was surprised by how quickly they wound up going back in time this episode. I would not have been opposed to a bit more time in this alternate future.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Member # 343

There's only 10 episodes. We don't get to swell on things like worldbuilding & character development anymore. Star Trek is now about whiz-bang action, densely packed for quick hits.

--------------------

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Also pointless is why shit's being dragged out. We're 30% done & gone nowhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
There's only 10 episodes. We don't get to swell on things like worldbuilding & character development anymore. Star Trek is now about whiz-bang action, densely packed for quick hits.

It's either pointlessly being dragged out and going nowhere, or it's a whiz-bang rush focused on the quick hits, but it can't be both at the same time.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps