Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » PIC 2x09 "Hide and Seek" ($$$)

Author Topic: PIC 2x09 "Hide and Seek" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt like this was a major step up compared to the last few episodes. It still wasn't great (I have one major gripe), but it wasn't bad.

Let's get to the gripe first. We seemingly wrap up the Picard's mom storyline. The show even halfway decently reconciles this version of Picard's mom with the version seen way back in "Where No One Has Gone Before". It's just that it unfortunately retreads a lot from "Monsters" before we finally get to new stuff.

We also seemingly wrap up the Borg Queen storyline (at least as much as we can before returning to the situation from the season premiere). Jurati and the Queen spend most of the episode fighting for control of Jurati's body before Jurati convinces the Queen to cooperate with her and find a new purpose to the Borg. They take off in La Sirena presumably to eventually set up the situation with the Stargazer in 400 years.

Elnor's kinda back for this episode. Jurati hid La Sirena's command codes in yet another new hologram: The Emergency Combat Hologram that looks like Elnor.

Seven and Raffi seem to work out a lot of their issues. Turns out Seven tried to join Starfleet after Voyager returned home, but was denied even with Janeway's backing due to her Borg nature. So... they took in Icheb. Why not Seven? Also, Seven gets her Borg implants back when Jurati/Queen prevents her from dying.

Rios and Teresa continue to be adorable.

So I guess Soong is now off to try to kill Renee again so he can have a legacy? Does he still have any Borg mercs left, or did Jurati/Queen take them with her/them?

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Seven and Raffi seem to work out a lot of their issues. Turns out Seven tried to join Starfleet after Voyager returned home, but was denied even with Janeway's backing due to her Borg nature. So... they took in Icheb. Why not Seven?
Didn't Janeway essentially give Seven a field commission? I mean, I didn't watch much of Voyager, but I always had the sense that she was actually performing jobs onboard. Even if she wasn't in the chain of command, she could have been in a warrant officer type role.

Anyway: perhaps because Icheb was separated from the Borg at such a young age was part of Starfleet's reasoning?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
There's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a bunch to say, but I van't right now. I'm so disgusted by this show. I can't wait for it to fucking end, it's so awful.

--------------------
"I never agreed with Jefferson once—we have fought on like seventy-five different fronts. But when all is said & all is done...Jefferson HAS beliefs; Burr has none."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refuse to believe that 24th century medicine can't cure depression. This was way too dark for my taste and it felt like a contrived pseudo-clever plot twist out of nowhere. I hope the TNG spirit returns in season 3.

Picard now joins the rest of the TNG crew with a parent/spouse lost prematurely (Betty Riker, Ian Troi, Hera LaForge, Jack Crusher, Juliana Tainer, Mogh & wife, Jadzia Dax, K'Ehleyr).

Soooo, Q staged it all so that his legacy is peace between the Borg and the Federation? Did I get that right?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don’t fucking know anymore. God I hope Data is back in some form in s3 because I’m fed up with these ancestral Soong tosspots.

So the Borg Queen just wants to be loved. Aww.

They’re doing pretty well at getting rid of extraneous characters to clear the decks for the TNG gang. Jurati, gone. They might be setting up killing off Rios or if not he’ll be off on the Stargazer. Maybe Elnor will stay dead. And they can lose Raffi and Seven at this point too.

Ahh, Seven. Who to show she’s been Borgified again gets all the de-Borged prosthetics she used to have. WHY? Why would she have a prosthetic eye again? She was stabbed in the gut!

One more episode. Thank Christ for that.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
So the Borg Queen just wants to be loved. Aww.

To be fair, this isn't exactly new for the Queen. Even First Contact established that she wanted a counterpart in Locutus.

--------------------

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I refuse to believe that 24th century medicine can't cure depression.

Yeah, that did annoy me. I mean I know it's not perfect and for obvious reasons there's no "one size fits all" treatment for depression, but they're asking us to believe that in the 24th Century medicine is at the level where they can give you a hypo to innoculate against radiation...but they deal with depression by literally locking someone in a room?? Hell, even today they'd at least try to do more than that.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“Sorry, Jean-Luc, the Federation medical service came round with your anti-baldness vaccination while you were down in the cellar with your foot stuck in a plank. I’ve asked your mother to remind me to re-schedule it… that’s odd, I thought I locked her in this room? Where can she have got to..?”

Also, Krenim was SO CLOSE in Series ? Close, but no cigar - turns out it’s the Happy Fun Collective, NOT the Happy Fun Doninion!

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I refuse to believe that 24th century medicine can't cure depression.

"Captain's Log, stardate 5718.3. The Enterprise is orbiting Elba Two, a planet with a poisonous atmosphere where the Federation maintains an asylum for the few remaining incorrigible criminally insane of the galaxy. We are bringing a revolutionary new medicine to them, a medicine with which the Federation hopes to eliminate mental illness for all time."

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

Look, I have no doubt that the future's medications are awesome. However, I don't think that's the point here.

It's tough for me to admit even now, but I suffer from anxiety and depression. It's screwed up my life something fierce. But I didn't seek help for the longest time because I kept flip-flopping between "I don't have anxiety or depression" and "Okay, I do have anxiety and depression but I'm sure it'll eventually get better on its own". Only five years ago did I finally take a good hard look at myself and realize that neither was true and that I needed help. Between medication and speaking to a therapist, I've gotten better. Not great, but better.

Point is, even futuristic wonder drugs are completely useless unless you actually get yourself diagnosed. Yvette never seemed to have sought help.

--------------------

Shik
There's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Genetic screenong is a thing in the late 2280s tho.

Where the fuck was Robert in all this?

--------------------
"I never agreed with Jefferson once—we have fought on like seventy-five different fronts. But when all is said & all is done...Jefferson HAS beliefs; Burr has none."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boarding school.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Lee
Member # 393

In which case you’d think the whole “You were a total mother’s boy and yet still managed to help her top herself and you won’t even admit it” thing might have come up during the cathartic mud-wrestling section.

And…

UFP arson investigators, 2371: “It’s really odd, the chateau had an older, but perfectly serviceable fire alarm and suppression system - of course it did, this isn’t the dark ages! But… at some point in the past someone threw a stone at it and broke the sensor. Weird thing is, they seemed to have done it from inside this conservatory…”

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.