Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » SNW 1x02 "Children of the Comet" ($$$)

Author Topic: SNW 1x02 "Children of the Comet" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not gonna lie, I felt like this was a major step down from last episode.

First, I'm already getting tired of hearing about Pike's vision of the future. Anson Mount is awesome as Pike; don't waste him angsting about his fate every freaking episode.

Second, I'm sure I'm not the first person to compare this episode to Enterprise's second episode "Fight or Flight". You could easily swap out Uhura for Hoshi and nothing would change. And let's face it, comparisons to early Enterprise are... not good.

La'an really needs to check the attitude.

I am loving Hemmer, though. He's a snarky bastard and I am here for every moment of it.

Lots of beauty shots of Enterprise.

All in all, I think this is the first sign that New Trek going episodic isn't some magic band-aid for its writing woes.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quite enjoyed it, while occasionally feeling oddly like I shouldn’t be.

The problem of course is, back in DSC s2 they made what in retrospect feels like an unusual decision to give Pike foreknowledge of his fate. Which of course they now have to address. It can’t just be hand-waved away. It is knowledge he possesses that would change anybody.

But it’s not like Trek hasn’t had characters confront such knowledge before.

In “Time’s Arrow” Data found the fact of his severed head from the past comforting, to know that like a real human being he would have an end (granted, this was not an emotional decision as he lacked that faculty at the time and by the time he got it the danger in question was long past).

In Generations, the death of Picard’s brother and nephew forced him to confront his own mortality and legacy. Ultimately by helping Kirk to confront similar issues, he accepts that how you live matters more than (heh) what you leave behind.

DSC s2 feels like a LONG time ago now, so I can’t recall how I felt at the time about Pike’s small-d discovery. Possibly that it was bold but in the end meaningless, as we wouldn’t be seeing Pike again. Now though - the writers must be kicking themselves - it has wider implications. But it does make me wonder more why they did it. To represent the sacrifice Pike made to get a time crystal? It also however feels emblematic of recurrent problems in New Trek: everything has to be really important, everybody knows everyone else, too many callbacks. Pike’s was a Big Damn Hero even before he risked (and ruined) his life to save those cadets: his sacrifice made him more so. Does he really need to be made an Even Bigger Damn Hero by knowing what’s going to happen when he makes that risk?

Space is dangerous. People’s luck runs out. Not all deaths are heroic and meaningful. But Trek has always been reluctant to let it happen to main players, unless for contractual reasons - Yar, Jadzia. Or, it happens but doesn’t stick - Harry Kim gets sucked out a hull breach, but they get another one. Why couldn’t Pike’s fate be left alone?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post, Lee, but I can't imagine how you forgot poor Chief O'Brien, poisoned to death by time travel ... so DS9 got another one.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn’t intended to be a comprehensive list!

Plus - thinking about it - it’s not really quite the same as the other, sudden deaths I mentioned. It (in “Visionary”) is the whole culmination of an O’Brien Torture Episode and is the end result of a linear progression of events.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It wasn’t intended to be a comprehensive list!
...!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turn in your Flare card, young man! ;-)

From what I gather, didn't Jurati suggest to the Queen in her "let's be friends" speech that the Queen knows she dies in every timeline? That could make an interesting juxtaposition.

As for Discovery, many noted at the time how Pike letting the Admiral sacrifice herself in the room of death made no sense if he believed he knew when he would die. This show just puts exclamation marks on that. If you truly believe your vision, the options for what some would view as insane courage open up tremendously.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a wise young Centauri once said, "Prophecy is just a dream that comes true. If it doesn't, the dream is just a metaphor."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Uhura was retconned to be a linguistic wunderkind (like Hoshi Sato). She needed dictionaries for Klingon and had a hard time with the pronunciation in TUC. And like so many other main characters she's an orphan.

Pike's quarters are very spacious (even bigger than Picard's on the Enterprise-D I would guess). Must've downsized them when crew complement went up from 200 to 400 by the time Kirk took command.

I would've prefered Admiral April's to be the dress uniform. Uhura's looks anachronistic; like something out of STO. Although the hazing and Pike's reaction was comedy gold.

[ May 16, 2022, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Spike ]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until TUC, Uhura was always considered to speak several languages. She was in communcations, after all. TUC is the fucked-up exception.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
Member # 393

I agree. I suppose you could at a stretch suggest she just didn’t speak Klingon, but that seems like exactly the sort of language she would learn. And even hand-waving that away, as someone who’s meant to have a knack for languages, you’d think she’d do a better job of not mangling the grammar and syntax.

Klingon: What's this then? "We am thy freighter Ursva"?
Uhura: I... I said “This is the freighter Ursva.”
Klingon: No you didn’t.

Klingon: Now write it out a hundred times.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

The only explanation I'd accept–& it's a long shot–is that Border Dude spoke this obscure dialect of Klingon that she had no clue what it was about. Like how someone from Hong Kong & someone from Anhui would be difficult to understand for each other. Or, someone from HK having to speak with a drunk Glaswegian. It ties in with an idea I had about the nature of so-called "Imperial" Klingon.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Nomad didn‘t just wipe her memory but also affect her linguistic skills?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Maybe the simplest explanation is the best - there are a number of Klingon languages, and those languages have a variety of different dialects, and Uhura isn't familiar with all of them.

I do think it's pretty great that Federation starships apparently have printed reference libraries.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Basically what Shik said.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps