Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » SNW 1x03 "Ghosts of Illyria" ($$$)

Author Topic: SNW 1x03 "Ghosts of Illyria" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better, but... confusing.

Number One is revealed to be an Illyrian. Okay. I guess I don't have any gripes per se, but she doesn't look anything like the Illyrians seen in ENT ("Damage"). Now, it is mentioned that Illyrians genetically engineer themselves to adapt better to their environments, so they may be from different worlds. Also, if using genetic engineering prohibits joining the Federation, why are the Denobulans members? Didn't we find out they used genetic engineering too?

On the subject of Number One... Having her ripping her shirt partway open? Gosh, we're not oversexualizing Rebecca Romijn, are we?

Also confusing is La'an's situation. Okay, she's a descendant of KHAAAAAAAAAAAN. Fine. But if her family is so ashamed by the connection, you'd think they'd change their last name at some point. Furthermore, if La'an is descended from KHAAAAAAAAAN, wouldn't she be part Augment? If so, why is she allowed in Starfleet if part of her genes are engineered?

We get a big secret of M'Benga's: He's keeping his terminally ill daughter in the sickbay transporter's pattern buffer to buy time to find a cure. Potentially why he gets demoted later on?

Hemmer continues to be awesome as well as delightfully snarky. He wanted some light, so he transported up part of the planet's mantle? Boss.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't ENT Illyrians, this is novelverse Illyrian. It's yet another point in the current production team's quest to canonize a ton of previously non-canon material like STO.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Krenim:
On the subject of Number One... Having her ripping her shirt partway open? Gosh, we're not oversexualizing Rebecca Romijn, are we?
Maybe.... but I have to say Jess Bush has my attention in her scenes as Chapel.

But if her family is so ashamed by the connection, you'd think they'd change their last name at some point.
You'd think right. I don't know if Hitler had brothers or sisters or anyone to carry on the name...but that's not a family name anyone would want to carry on. Take a maiden name. Or do what we do now and just make one up. I'm just saying if you're Hitler or Khan, I agree with you, why would you keep that name?

Over all I've enjoyed the first 3 episodes. I couldn't get into STD, Lower Decks is pure fan service and I love it for that. STP... that's a mixed bag. Season 2 started good then just nothing in the middle until the last episode.

So is Una immune to everything? Save for a phaser to the head? 3 episodes in and already at the 'mystery virus takes over the crew' cliché.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oopsies. delete this mighty mod.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Hobbes
Member # 138

Sorry for the weird double post... So if a mod wants to work their mystic powers and make it disappear... as well as this one when your work is done.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, when did we get season two of Prodigy? I thought we were still waiting for the rest of S1?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also, if using genetic engineering prohibits joining the Federation, why are the Denobulans members?
Are they? Members, I mean.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Number One is revealed to be an Illyrian. Okay. I guess I don't have any gripes per se, but she doesn't look anything like the Illyrians seen in ENT ("Damage").

Hardly the first time Trek has done this -- see the Klingons, or, you know, Jadzia Dax.

But between Pike knowing his fate, Number One being Illyrian and concealing this, and M'Benga keeping his daughter in the transporter buffer and concealing this (and, seriously, are there no schools wondering where this student went?), I'm just wondering what deep secrets the rest of the cast are hiding and when we'll find them out.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But if her family is so ashamed by the connection, you'd think they'd change their last name at some point.
Yeah, they would. But then we, the dumb audience, wouldn't be able to make the connection. A friend once told me that one of his co-workers was a descendant of Hermann Göring and that she changed her surname to "Görig". But I'm not sure if that story is fact or fiction.

Anyhow, there were a couple of head scratchers in this one. No medical check-up of Number One revealed that she is an Illyrian? And M'Benga brought his daughter aboard Enterprise and nobody noticed that she never left?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the story too, but I’m confused by the background. Are the Illyrians supposed to be aliens, or a breakaway faction of Humans? If it’s the former, it seems very weird that no one would detect Una’s differences. Though I suppose she could’ve passed herself off as a different alien of some kind.

I’m also confused but don’t have a problem with the apparent duplication of the name Illyrian. After all, we also have the Terrellians (AQ), the Terrellians (DQ), the Terellians, the Terrelians, the Tarellians, and the Tyrellians. That’s not confusing at all.

As for La’an, I assume that her parents for whatever reason did not have a problem with their heritage. La’an could’ve changed her name, sure, but her personality so far seems to be the “just suffer through it” type. Hopefully we’ll learn more.

Though as I suspected from the promotional materials, the fact that La’an’s heritage is known means that the mystery of the first few acts of “Space Seed” is even more of an idiot plot than before. No one connected a guy calling himself “just Khan” to a ship from that era, but Scotty “always had a sneaking admiration”? But now Spock and Uhura served with one of his descendants… why the frak did they not put two and two together?

The idea of a “light virus” is a pretty cool idea and very evocative of the classic out-there sci-fi concepts of TOS. Obviously this was Una’s story, but I wonder if Spock had been on the ship if he would’ve turned out to be immune like every other episode of TOS. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny how Uhura just vanished from the story after it’s discovered she’s not affected because she sleeps in the dark. And then they turn all the lights off on the ship - but there’s no evidence of it being dark anywhere in the parts of the ship we subsequently see. I presume anyone affected just has to stay in their cabins in the pitch dark. Good time to catch up on your podcasts, I guess.

I presume there was a line of dialogue that set out exactly what was wrong with M’Benga’s daughter and why, ooh I dunno, having a genetically-engineered superbeing handy, who happens to have the ability to create antibodies to literally anything, wouldn’t be of any use?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Krenim:
Furthermore, if La'an is descended from KHAAAAAAAAAN, wouldn't she be part Augment? If so, why is she allowed in Starfleet if part of her genes are engineered?

To be fair, depending on when the Eugenics Wars actually happen now, then assuming a generation every 25-years, then there's around seven generations between KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN and La'an. The amount of DNA they'd share would be miniscule at that stage (about 0.8% of their autosomnal DNA), to the point where current family history DNA tests wouldn't be completely reliable in ascertaining a family relationship. I could easily see Starfleet ignoring it after that many generations.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps