Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » SNW 1x06 “Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach” ($$$)

Author Topic: SNW 1x06 “Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach” ($$$)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So… that happened? Perfectly decent little episode of the kind that Star Trek used to do, so quite welcome in that regard.

I suppose the main thing is that it did a good job of subverting expectations. Watching it, I felt pretty certain that:

- Alora was in on the kidnap plot somehow
- First Servant’s dad (“Only biologically !”) was on the straight & narrow, albeit an asshole
- The big thing was going to be the Majelans refusing to help M’Benga’s daughter because they’re all assholes (the dad - let’s just call him Worst Parent - being an apple that didn’t fall far from the tree)

Instead, nope, Alora was on the level, Worst Parent was alright albeit ultimately useless, and M’Benga Jr.’s future is looking slightly rosier.

But WHY was Alora being so coy? If she knew how Pike would react to the whole child sacrifice thing, why ever reveal it to him at all? She obviously wasn’t anywhere near concerned about the principle of not plugging kids into life-sucking machinery. Or did she think that once they were in lurrve, he’d just shrug and go, Eh, whatevs?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was the first episode I liked without any cons. It was good, straight sci-fi storytelling with cautionary elements & no snappy, quirky dialogue. The transporter twist was a little too easily figured out & I might've written it different, but past that...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.