Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » SNW 1x07 "The Serene Squall" ($$$)

Author Topic: SNW 1x07 "The Serene Squall" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A fairly decent episode made notable by one heck of a twist at the end. At this point, I thought he would never get a mention, let alone an appearance.

For one thing, I had the "counselor" pegged as a bad guy the moment she changed into that revealing skin-tight black outfit. Evil is sexy, after all. [Wink]

So the evil pirate Captain Angel (very meaningful name, given who she's connected to) lures the Enterprise out of Federation space to save some colonists. Except the whole thing was a trap just to capture Spock. Why Spock? Because T'Pring is holding a certain Vulcan at the rehabilitation center she works at that she wants to trade for.

Luckily, Pike and co. manage to incite a mutiny (with a little help from Pike's cooking), which foils Angel's plan. Angel, however, gets away. *Janeway voice* I doubt we've seen the last of her.

So who was Angel trying to free? None other than Sybok! Dun dun DUN! Yup, Sybok's back (even though the reveal at the end only shows him from behind). Spock also points out that Sarek had Sybok out of wedlock, which fills in that plothole about Amanda being Sarek's first wife.

Chapel seems to be actually developing feelings for Spock at this point.

Also, where the heck is Hemmer?! This is three episodes now where he's been absent. I needs me some Hemmer!

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew it was Sybok as soon as Spock realized, because of course it HAD to be.

Pike proving again that food moves mountains. Also, reffing the mutiny as being Alpha Braga IV definitely feel like a dig at the 87-05 production teams.

What stuck with me was Aspen/Angel's talk with Spock. From first appearance, I figured actor Jesse James Keitel was trans or non-binary (it's the latter), & that conversation about finding out what you are & being both & neither human & Vulcan had weight to it. It added to Spock's development struggle, but if the viewer is keyed into LGBTQ+ issues, then the volume on the subtext was so loud, it was more like domtext. Sometines that's what's needed, though, & Trek has always been pretty good about outright yet subtle slaps in the face like that.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps