Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » SNW 1x09 "All Those Who Wander" ($$$)

Author Topic: SNW 1x09 "All Those Who Wander" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, let's start with the elephant in the room: Hemmer is dead. I'm quite disappointed. Anyone who's been reading my posts should know I'm quite the Hemmer fan. At least he got to die as he lived: Awesomely.

With that out of the way...

My only real complaint is that the Gorn are now Xenomorphs, and that this episode is basically an Alien movie.

Other than that, it was a pretty good episode. Lots of callbacks, both big and small, to previous episodes. Lots of good character interactions.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Hemmer; rest well.

There was an interview Bruce Horak did earlier this year where I thought he suggested or implied he wasn't back for the second season, so I wasn't surprised, and Hemmer's death does impart a weight that the death of Lt. Duke and Cadet Chia didn't (I predicted Duke would die as soon as he was promoted).

Sam Kirk's back! And just really mean to Spock. Jerk. I'm glad you die in the future.

The decisions this crew makes is somewhat baffling -- they're undergoing a rescue mission, with possibly up to 100 injured Starfleet personnel, and the Enterprise doesn't even remain in orbit long enough to see if mass casualty evacuation is necessary? Sure, okay, it'd be a bit longer than might be expected since you've gotta send shuttles up into communication range, but still ...

And La'an is going off on leave, so I guess it's up in the air if we'll see her again this season. One week until the finale! Maybe there will be a time jump?

I do predict Uhura will shortly graduate the Academy and be back as an ensign for S2.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, what's up with the Not-Constitution Sombra-class. This tops the lazyness of the cut-and-paste fleet in PIC S1.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I guess we get Scotty as Chief Engineer next season.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It’s fucking nonsensical about the Sombra-class. First off, why have it as a Conniealike to begin with? OK they wanted to use standing sets, but a line of dialogue saying the internal design (of whatever class the Peregrine could have been) was similar, sickbay was a standard fit-out module, etc., would have done. They didn’t have enough imagination to do THAT, but just enough to not want to have it be one of the (canon?) twelve Constitutions? What, because it was destroyed? IT WASN’T!! It was salvaged! It could have been the Lexington, the Defiant, the bloody Kongo for all anyone would have cared!!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling that the writers' intent was a rearrangement of parts like shitty kitbashers, & VFX took the line more than literally.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the producers thought "cheap kitbash" then realized "cool image that'll fool people into thinking the hero ship crashed".

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
Or the producers thought "cheap kitbash" then realized "cool image that'll fool people into thinking the hero ship crashed".

But even if that was what they were going for, I'm still not sure why they made it a different class than a Discotution.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The hypothetical realization came after filming was complete, so they could try to dub (which would have been too complicated) or cut a bunch of lines.

Also, "Discotution" kinda works, but I just go with the Discoprise being Substitution Class, with JJ's Monsterprise as Reconstitution Class.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps