Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » SNW 1x10 "A Quality of Mercy" ($$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SNW 1x10 "A Quality of Mercy" ($$$)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so at the end of the episode Pike looks up Kirk’s record. Putting aside the fact that as of 2259 Kirk seemingly already has all those impressive-sounding awards listed in a TOS episode set years later, there’s the section with his training.

Which includes “Witnessed the massacre on Tarsus IV.”

Listed as TRAINING.

What sort of academic credit does observing genocide net you, out of interest? I lived through two west African coups and I still had to do my homework. I sat (and failed) a maths exam a week or so after getting knocked down by a car. Or is this like that thing where you get to pass the year if your roommate commits suicide? Is this the real reason why Kirk got a free pass for cheating on the Kobayashi Maru?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess they do only cursory Memory Alpha check-ups. That‘s how we got a Talaxian boardgame being played in STD.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I guess they do only cursory Memory Alpha check-ups. That‘s how we got a Talaxian boardgame being played in STD.

If you mean Kadis-Kot, I don't remember there being anything stated in dialogue that it's a Talaxian game, or even something that originated in the Delta Quadrant. It first featured in Voyager but there's nothing definitive that says it isn't an existing Alpha Quadrant game.

A cursory Memory Alpha check-up confirms this. There is a bit of grey area with one episode where a prisoner says he played the game with his brother when he was younger, but it's possible to explain this away that he maybe played a very similar game and was able to pick up Kadis-Kot quickly as a result.

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I enjoyed this episode, one thing bothers me. Pike changes the future by writing a letter...a letter that discloses classified information to a literal child. You've either got here Starfleet blind ignoring that Pike has broken the Starfleet equivalent of an Official Secrets Act by disclosing the details surrounding his vision of the future (and presumably Control), or you've got a group of future cadets and their families believing the ramblings of a captain telling them "don't go on this ship, something might happen". Either way from Starfleet's point of view you're risking introducing an unstable element into a critical situation by leaving him in command of NCC-1701 after that.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps