Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » PRO 1x18 "Mindwalk" ($$$)

Author Topic: PRO 1x18 "Mindwalk" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that this would have been an excellent episode, if it wasn't for one huge problem with it.

We pick up where the last episode left off with the Protostar and Dauntless facing off. The Protostar, however, under the influence of the living construct makes a break for the heart of Federation space.

The kids, desperate for a way to contact the Dauntless without infecting them, try telepathy. What actually happens is that Admiral Janeway and Dal switch minds.

The Janeway-in-Dal's-body plot was great. We knew that Janeway had already deduced these kids were likely not actual enemies, and she helps them as best she can. While she can't do anything about the construct itself, her admiral command codes do allow her to purge the construct's influence on Holo-Janeway. We get a callback to "Threshold" which had me laughing pretty hard. We also get a heartbreaking scene with Gwyn where Gwyn tells Janeway how much Dal wants to join Starfleet, and Janeway has to tell her that Augments are forbidden from joining. Huge props go to Brett Gray, as he does a really good job of imitating Kate Mulgrew.

The major problem is the Dal-in-Janeway's-body plot. The last couple of episodes have revolved around the kids trying to find a way to tell Starfleet of their predicament... and instead of doing just that, Dal proceeds to (badly) imitate Janeway. SAY SOMETHING! That having been said, Kate Mulgrew is hilarious as Dal trying to act like the actual Janeway. Lady has good comedy chops. And we get a short touching scene with the Diviner letting Janeway go and asking her to try to protect Gwyn.

The episode ends with the two swapping back. Admiral Janeway is unfortunately in the Dauntless' brig for how she was acting, and a massive Starfleet armada has assembled to take down the Protostar.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing I see about this makes me want to watch, still. I'm not interested in the Smea L'ekat and their grudge against the Federation. Wah wah, we decided to slaughter each other because you turned up and proved we weren't the literal centre of the universe. I suspect Douglas Adams might want a word, if he were still around.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps