Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » PIC 3x06 "The Bounty" ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: PIC 3x06 "The Bounty" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies and gentlemen: FANSERVICE, THE EPISODE! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Beverly has scanned Jack to figure out the cause of his hallucinations, and found that he has Irumodic Syndrome. I'm sure that's true, but I'm guessing that's not actually what's wrong with him.

Worf, Raffi, and Riker get aboard Daystrom Station and start hunting for the manifest. The fanservice starts right away with a Genesis Device, the remains of Captain James T. Kirk (Couldn't just let him rest in peace on Veridian III, huh?), and... a genetically modified Attack Tribble (which is just as awesomely stupid as it sounds).

However, the Titan is forced to leave them behind when Starfleet ships find them. They warp to the Fleet Museum where they are met by Geordi and his other daughter Alandra. Things are a bit icy between Geordi and both Picard and Sidney. We find out that Starfleet can track the Titan even without its transponder because (against Geordi's recommendations) all Starfleet ships are now linked.

Back on board Daystrom Station, our heroes start running into the security system. First, a holographic crow. Then, Moriarty. Then, "Pop Goes the Weasel" starts playing. Riker manages to figure out that all three are connected to Data.

We get some more massive fanservice at the Fleet Museum, where we get to see the Defiant, the Enterprise-A, the Voyager, and lastly, the titular HMS Bounty. The sight of the Bird-of-Prey gives Jack an idea...

Back at Daystrom, we find... well... a new android of the same sort as Picard; practically biological. However, it contains the sum of B4, Lore, Data, Lal (yes, she's specifically mentioned), and possibly Alton Soong (not totally clear on that). Alton was working on it but didn't quite finish before he died. It is this android that is the station's AI and also contains the manifest.

Jack and Sidney swipe the cloaking device from the Bounty and attempt to install it in the Titan. However, this alerts Starfleet. The three La Forges get the cloaking device operational and then head back to Daystrom.

The Titan beams Raffi, Worf, and Data (I'll call him that for now for simplicity's sake) off the station, but Riker is hit with a transporter inhibitor and gets captured.

Geordi gets Data online, although the multiple personalities fight for control. They learn what else the Changelings stole from Daystrom Station: the mortal remains of Jean-Luc Picard.

Riker is taken aboard the Shrike, where he vows to Vadic not to talk. Vadic responds by showing Riker her other prisoner... Troi.

All the fanservice aside, I'd say this was a decent episode. The overall plot moved forward decently by resolving the mystery of what else was taken from Daystrom Station, while at the same time setting up the question of what the Changelings want with Picard's original body.

EDIT: Forgot a very cute scene with Shaw. It seems his disdain of the TNG crew does NOT extend to Geordi, as he starts massively geeking out in his presence. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, no way Irumodic Syndrome is the reason for his superhero moves.

The fleet museum was cool. A very emotional moment to see these ships once again.

quote:
We get some more massive fanservice at the Fleet Museum, where we get to see the Defiant, the Enterprise-A, the Voyager, and lastly, the titular HMS Bounty.
Also presumably Enterprise NX-01 in its refit configuration, USS Excelsior, USS Stargazer, a Nebula, Akira, Saber, K't'inga, Romulan Warbird, and the USS New Jersey, the original Constitution Picard told Scotty about in "Relics" (NCC-1975 is way too high but it seems to be Matalas's birth year. [Roll Eyes] )

I wonder what the registry on the Defiant is.
There are some weird choices (Nebula, Saber, Akira). I'd have prefered Enterprise-B, Enterprise-E and an Ambassador instead.

Was Riker wearing yet another uniform variant? It was too fucking dark but his jacket seemed to be different than Raffi's. And Geordi's was different from Ro's last week, no?

The reveal of what was stolen was kind of underwhelming. I hope it pays off later.

There were a lot of ridiculous things in that one. Kirk's body, killer tribbles, assembling the whole fucking fleet in one place, Shaw and Seven not knowing that Titan is connected to other Starfleet vessels...

Enough with the Section 31 stuff. It might have been exposed after the changeling virus stuff but nowadays everbody knows that they store their stuff at Daystrom Station? Come on.

I'm kind of tired of all they ways they find to bring back Spiner for all three seasons of PIC.

I also call bullshit on the La Forge's family drama. Obviously the writers forgot who piloted the Enterprise-D in Season 1.

Geez, I can't stand Vadic's theatrics. Most annoying Trek villain in my book.

quote:
It seems his disdain of the TNG crew does NOT extend to Geordi
Well, he called him Mr. La Forge instead of Commodore...

[ March 23, 2023, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Obviously the writers forgot who piloted the Enterprise-D in Season 1.
Nah, they didn't even bother to watch it. Matalas said in an interview that the Conspiracy bugs killed everybody they took over which is why he didn't have them as the big bads, and it's pretty clear from the episode itself that actually the bugs don't do that.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So NCC-1975 New Jersey was quite obviously the year and birthplace of Matalas. Moreover, though, this suggests the claim that he didn't name the planet M'talas after himself is likely untrue.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Per my earlier comment in the other thread, It's a real burden being right all the time.

I call bullshit on Irumodic Syndrome. Beverly knows JL has that genetic tendency & she never gene-scanned their kid? Did advanced-age baby brain turn her into a shitty doctor not to have done that?

That being said, dollars to fucking donuts it's about Borg nanoprobes. They want the ones in his dead mest, & he some how shot them into Beverly & now they're in Jack too.

Someone over on TrekBBS gave me mild shit for calling this the "Matalas Memberberry Verse". I should so see if he's eating his words now. Probably not, since that's how that place is.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the USS Voyager in HD!

And now I want more. I want more!

Bring on Voyager on bluray! And DS9, too, please!

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was confused.

They showed a hologram of the Substitution Class Discoprise in STP Season 1, which is 442 meters.

Now they show a fleet museum with not one but two Constitutions, including a normal-ish TOS style (albeit with weird windows) and the 1701-A.

This led me to wonder if the scale of the 1701-A was embiggened, and whether that new scale would make the Titan Connie saucer the right size, but the 1701-A upscale was just a hypothesis, I thought.

However, the New Jersey secondary hull has a crapload of windows, and I finally realized there were too many rows.

In other words, they have upscaled the TOS Connie, so they've certainly had to do the same with 1701-A (unless they're going to argue they built the A subscale).

Comparison:

https://mobile.twitter.com/STvSW/status/1639206528325414912

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah but you're going by the assumption that every season of PIC is set in the same verse. [Wink]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the list according to Memory Alpha (*at time of posting, anyway):

Starfleet vessels

Akira-class
USS Defiant (NX-74205)
Enterprise NX-01
USS Enterprise-A (NCC-1701-A)
USS Enterprise-D (NCC-1701-D) (saucer section only)
USS Excelsior (NCC-2000)
USS Leondegrance (NCC-2176)
Miranda-class
USS New Jersey (NCC-1975)
Nova-class
USS Pioneer (NCC-1500)
Nebula-class
Saber-class
USS Stargazer (NCC-2893)
USS Voyager (NCC-74656)

Non-Starfleet vessels

HMS Bounty
K't'inga-class
Romulan Bird-of-Prey

Obviously a fair few hero ships there. And why not? The others, well, we just have to assume they’re particularly notable examples of their classes (or the first of them?). As for why they’re all of regularly-seen “semi-hero” ship classes, just one of those things I guess. Obviously there are no surviving notable, say, Freedom-classes! Or Steamrunners, which if course infuriates me personally… 🤬

Some are odd though. The Leondegrance we know a little about, it evidently had a long and illustrious career so merits inclusion. Likewise new ships like the Pioneer. The original Stargazer though, that’s a bit odd. OK, long and illustrious career of sorts, previous command of Picard, maybe it’s just the best-preserved and/or oldest surviving example of the class.

If it’s like any other museum, of course there’ll be an archive of non-display items, probably far more extensive than what is on display! That would be the true place to visit and geek out over, far better than the crowd-pleasers on prime display…

A Thalaron radiation weapon at Daystrom… that makes sense. As does a Genesis device (nor particularly surprised about it TBH). Not sure what the rationale behind Kirk’s body being there is, and it rather sucks that he’s not buried somewhere proper with full honours. Maybe it would cause too many questions - to paraphrase Soran, history considers him lost in space on the Ent-B, why get more people thinking about the benefits of going into the Nexus? It’s just a bit weird though. Same thing with keeping Picard’s body there I guess, can’t publicly bury him when he’s still visibly “alive!” So it’s not just s31’s dirty secrets, it’s ALL the Federation’s dirty secrets.

What’s the timeline - what happened first? Did Vadic break into Daystrom first, or start hunting Jack first? Do we know what happened/started when?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
So, the list according to Memory Alpha (*at time of posting, anyway):

Starfleet vessels

Akira-class
USS Defiant (NX-74205)
Enterprise NX-01
USS Enterprise-A (NCC-1701-A)
USS Enterprise-D (NCC-1701-D) (saucer section only)
USS Excelsior (NCC-2000)
USS Leondegrance (NCC-2176)
Miranda-class
USS New Jersey (NCC-1975)
Nova-class
USS Pioneer (NCC-1500)
Nebula-class
Saber-class
USS Stargazer (NCC-2893)
USS Voyager (NCC-74656)

This episode is indeed giving us a registry for the Akira-Class starship, as seen in the fleet museum: NCC-23542. Unfortunately this number does not fall into the established pattern.

Furthermore, Voyagers registry is given with NCC-77543 (unless it is not the Voyager, but another Intrepid? But on the other hand the Voyager was identified by Commander Hansen.) and the registry of a Constistution Class is given with NCC-75442.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by o2:
This episode is indeed giving us a registry for the Akira-Class starship, as seen in the fleet museum: NCC-23542. Unfortunately this number does not fall into the established pattern.

Ew. That would, if memory serves, push the elliptical saucers back decades. Not that we're supposed to assume that basic spaceframe and vehicle shapes are remotely consistent over time anymore, of course . . . and that wouldn't even begin to cover other details.

quote:
Furthermore, Voyagers registry is given with NCC-77543 (unless it is not the Voyager, but another Intrepid? But on the other hand the Voyager was identified by Commander Hansen.)
Oof.

quote:
and the registry of a Constistution Class is given with NCC-75442.
That would be a build date in the early 2370s. Honestly, I actually wouldn't mind the idea of some Connie parts getting slapped together for the Dominion War. If complete, it would beat some of the other kitbashes.

--------------------

o2
Member # 907

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:

quote:
and the registry of a Constistution Class is given with NCC-75442.
That would be a build date in the early 2370s. Honestly, I actually wouldn't mind the idea of some Connie parts getting slapped together for the Dominion War. If complete, it would beat some of the other kitbashes.
Besides the fact that we can read the registry of both Constitution Class starships (NCC-1701-A and NCC-1975) in this episode: Please remember that we found parts of a (refit) Constitution Class (saucer and hull) at Wolf 359, some years before the Dominion War.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

David Blass already twittered to ignore these registries. I guess some battle damage to Titan‘s computer systems?
o2
Member # 907

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
David Blass already twittered to ignore these registries. I guess some battle damage to Titan‘s computer systems?

Yeah, would be the best to do so. But imagine Mike Okuda would have been ask to take a look at it before the scene was shot!
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
David Blass already twittered to ignore these registries.

Link? I see him saying that about a little diagram thing he posted but not about these ships.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps