Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » PIC 3x06 "The Bounty" ($$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: PIC 3x06 "The Bounty" ($$$)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for bringing Data back… look, this was always going to happen, WOULD have happened, if there’d been a fifth TNG movie. And the likely method for that - his memory engrams either overwriting or merging with B-4’s, well, you can debate the merits of that, and the ethics too (especially if you fall on one side of the Tuvix debate). This, though, feels better somehow?

For one thing it nicely sidesteps the fact that B-4 was a really rubbish plot point to begin with, and having a full Data running on older less-sophisticated hardware platform stretches credibility as well.

And it really wouldn’t be a problem if this wasn’t the third season and in every previous one they hadn’t, as Spike says, found a way to incorporate Spiner in each.

Two different Soongs was ridiculous; if I had to pick between Adam and Alton to just keep one… I’m not sure I could. Alton didn’t need to be there, he could have been anyone, human or android; on the other hand, the whole Adam thing was stupid and contrived.

Data’s presence in s1, as a dream figure, was fine and if they’d left it at that there’d be no problem. The coda where Picard gets to say goodbye to his Data was sweet though, again a bit contrived in how it was able to happen but still it gave the necessary closure.

So I’m not sure how I feel NOW. Is that cheapened by them bringing Data (as part of DataLoreB4)? Or did it serve its dramatic purpose, to get Picard over the guilt that a friend sacrificed himself for him, leaving him to fully embrace whatever this new Data is?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
David Blass already twittered to ignore these registries.

Link? I see him saying that about a little diagram thing he posted but not about these ships.
https://twitter.com/hbsastrowardoyo/status/1639250287306375174?s=46&t=FfKuSMSXOIc4q68qhKjvsg
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twitter is also working its way into a frenzy that what is in Hangar Bay 12 might be a replacement stardrive section for the D. Which would probably be a fanservice too far, really. Though it certainly would pack more of an emotional heft than what I think it’s likely to be - based on some stuff Matalas put on Instagram - namely the E, whose fate seems to be rather nebulous. But as I say, you don’t see Picard getting misty-eyed over the E like he does the D. And there are some suggesting the D’s bridge set has been recreated…

Lee’s out-there probably-wrong wacky prediction of the day: the Enterprise-F is destroyed in the Frontier Day shenanigans, and is replaced by a semi-new Galaxy-class USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-G. Hey, if David Tennant can be the Tenth AND Fourteenth Doctors…

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, shit like this is why I say this show is still so bad. Seeing people praise it is like having someone say frozen supermarket pizza is superior to fresh from a shop.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Spike!

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, for priding themselves so much on being massive ship geeks they make an awful lot of avoidable mistakes.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because they're fucking masturbatory idiots.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'd noticed that the Nuseum shots in the episode are awful, from a scaling perspective. The mini-Nebula, the micro-NX, and so on were rough.

But I kept referencing the rings and someone shared the top-down FX reference image above saying they're different sizes. Well, not in the episode. And that image has other problems. Check the Pocket Excelsior, the MegaBoP versus the mini-battlecruiser, and so on.

Some of those scale references are also hideous. The 170m Defiant (heh), the 160m BoP, the 350 meter battlecruiser . . . and even when the data is right we're still stuck with the out-of-scale image or final episode render.

In any case, the Museum always should've been something mentioned but not seen. I hate it, too, but when you only have so many assets to work with, any attempt to show it will lock you in to the limits of what you've got. How many untold stories have just been cast aside because they filled in extra spots with so many Akiras and a Saber? The collection has century-wide gaps. Even if we assume other stuff is inside, it seems like almost all the interesting stuff happened while we were watching. That's kinda sad.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

They should've fixed the stock footage registry of the Defiant. But considering that they changed the Saratoga's registry I guess it's possible that they did the same with the Defiant as NX-74205 was the more prominent vessel.

The Lexington's registry is just wrong. We have Memory Alpha to thank for that which connected the DS9 Nebula-class Lexington with a registry appearing on a barely legible screen in TNG The Measure of a Man.

Most of the sizes are taken from the faulty DS9 Technical Manual. Even the clearly incorrect ones for the Saber which were mistakenly copied from the Norway class entry.

They changed the Pioneer for the Akira-class Wersching. Would've made more sense to keep the Pioneer and make the Sentinel the Wersching.

I would have dropped the Saratoga, Lexington, Saber and Akiras in favour of Bozeman, Endeavour (Wolf 359 survivor), Excalibur (or another Ambassador-class) and maybe some new design from the late 23rd/early 24th century.

[ March 30, 2023, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Shik
Member # 343

There should've been an Oberth.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

A replica of the Saratoga? Fuck’s sake. It’s a nice touch to name a ship after Annie Wersching even belatedly (FX we’re probably long done when she passed away, and I’m sure it didn’t require any more than a change to a list on Dave Blass’s computer).

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

I've embarked on the process of reconstructing the scene, because I'm insane. But, I just wanted to check my eyeballs.

So far, the microNebula is confirmed, but I was winging placements and most are like 75 meters too far from the edge, per overlay with another view. So, I can't say much more until after some tweaking, though I'm pretty sure Voyager was embiggened. Thread of work in progress here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/STvSW/status/1639984302938046464

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

-

So far I have everything around back side in this view from the NX to the Constitution. I have tweaked the placements as mentioned above.

The Nuseum NX is comically small . . . maybe 150 meters if thinking big thoughts. The Miranda is fine. The Nebula is tiny. Voyager looks to be around 40 meters larger than standard. The Excelsior seems to be at 511 meters rather than 467. The Akira is tiny. The Constitution looks huge here but in another view looks okay . . . that other view is a 3/4 rear shot so may be hiding the size, though. I'll work on figuring that out for sure, but given the extra window rows on the "New Jersey" plus the 442-vs-289 upscaling of the Discoprise I presume they did indeed embiggen it here.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Nobody tell him about the Defiant, or he’ll be REALLY cross

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps