Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » Section 31: The Movie!

Author Topic: Section 31: The Movie!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://blog.trekcore.com/2023/04/michelle-yeoh-returns-in-star-trek-section-31-movie/

So they’ve managed to scrape up a “movie event.” I guess it’s the most they could manage given Yeoh’s obviously-enhanced star power. Whether it’ll still be in the same time period the show was intended to be in, well, who knows? The need for widespread world-building (and the budget to design and create a potential whole new time period*) night no longer exist…

* The time period between 2293 and 2263, for example

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Michelle & always have, but meh.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a sad day for the franchise when an atrocity like this gets greenlit. Space-Hitler has absolutely no business being the lead of a Trek movie/show.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a weird petering out of the Section 31 show. Back in early 2019 (during Discovery season two), Kurtzman told Comicbook.com:

“Our hope is that we will have a script in the next couple months, and then as soon as Discovery Season three is over we're rolling right into that show. That's my hope."

That had fueled a lot of belief that Discovery was to be ended after season three, and that season four was only greenlit because they didn't have ST31 ready to go. That is to say, Kurtzman's 2019 comment would've suggested a start after January 2021 (the end of STD3 in the 30-whichevereth Century), but instead Section 31 just sort of kept not happening, and they kept squeezing out more Discovery instead. Meanwhile, STD2's popular Pike got Strange New Worlds, but they didn't get that out till 2022 despite having many of the sets and pre-production in place.

Either they couldn't secure her for a series but had some contractual something which this satisfies, or maybe she had no interest in working during COVID (caveat here being that I have no clue about the filming schedule of S3, which I think featured her briefly), or maybe they just couldn't work out what to make the show about on an ongoing basis so did the Pike show instead. Or, maybe it's some combo of these, and/or other possibilities.

I dunno, it's all very odd. I mean, if you had Yeoh available and willing, why not have her pop in on STSNW?

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
caveat here being that I have no clue about the filming schedule of S3, which I think featured her briefly

Well, she was in 8 of the 13 episodes that season...so more than a bit briefly, quite honestly. [Wink] Given since then she's done a few movies, the Witcher mini-series, and some voice acting, Yeoh probably hasn't had space in her schedule to do Section-31 until now.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the glaring omission of any mention of Lippoldt & Kim who were announced as showrunners with great fanfare, it’s yet another example of murky decision-making (by whom, anyway? Who are TPTB in this? Kurtzmann?) at CBS/Paramount…

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Given the glaring omission of any mention of Lippoldt & Kim who were announced as showrunners with great fanfare, it’s yet another example of murky decision-making (by whom, anyway? Who are TPTB in this? Kurtzmann?) at CBS/Paramount…

I'm old enough to remember when a Hollywood announcement typically implied a thing would occur.

The silver lining is that it doesn't take up a lot of time for me to binge-watch the Lippoldt & Kim Yeoh Section 31 series, the Nicholas Meyer Khan series, JJ Trek IV, and the Tarantino Trek movie . . . not to mention a similar Star Wars binge session of the Star Wars 1313/Underworld show, the Trank Boba Fett movie, Star Wars Detours (made but still never released), the Kenobi film trilogy, the Rian Johnson film trilogy, the Star Wars movie by the Game of Thrones duo, and the Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron movie.

Hell, as it stands, with the Yeoh movie supposedly entering production in late 2023, I'm calling the odds 50/50 at this point that it ever happens at all.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Lee
Member # 393

https://variety.com/2024/tv/features/star-trek-future-starfleet-academy-section-31-michelle-yeoh-1235952301/

quote:
I’m on the set of the “Star Trek” TV movie “Section 31,” seated in an opulent nightclub with a view of a brilliant, swirling nebula, watching Yeoh rehearse with director Olatunde Osunsanmi and her castmates.

A few minutes later, dozens of extras in all manner of outlandish eveningwear file into the club, several of them made up as classic “Star Trek” aliens that fans might be surprised to see in this kind of swanky establishment. But I’m far more distracted by a different discovery: Georgiou is standing with a young Rachel Garrett (Kacey Rohl), a character first introduced on “Next Generation” as the older fearless captain of the USS Enterprise-C.

OK so yes, on the one hand they’re bringing back ANOTHER legacy character. Yawn. But - a YOUNG Garrett. Now, Garrett technically died in 2344; Tricia O’Neill was approx 45 when she played her, so it’s reasonable to assume her character was around the same age. But the main thing is - it looks like the Section 31 movie is set sometime in the EARLY 24th CENTURY.

Does this matter? Probably not. But I know I’m on record as suggesting that time period as one of Georgiou’s possible destinations the Guardian could usefully send her to, as it’s a period we know very little about…

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh boy, another deep-cut reference. Yay.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Shik
Member # 343

Also, young Garrett looks like she's 12 instead of 32, & nothing like our Tricia.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have cast Michelle Dockery as Rachel Garrett.

Personally, I wish they would stay away from that particular time period. It's my favourite period design-wise (ships, props, uniforms, etc.) and I just know that they won't faithfully recreate it. We'll probably get some anachronistic Eaves ships and those horrible SNW-reimagination of the monster maroons.

Lee
Member # 393

I quite liked the SNW update, but that’s just me and I was never much of a fan of the monster maroon anyway.

Frankly, I wasn’t a fan of the extended life of the design, in its various iterations (smaller crewneck, no visible crewneck at all, losing the belt).

Given we seem to be entering an era when uniforms are less set in stone, I’d not be averse to there being other (previously unseen, obvs) uniforms in use during this time period. Like, the clothing seen in Picard’s trunk on the Stargazer:

-

… which as Jörg and Bernd showed, is a re-use of a TOS outfit:

-

I mean, it’s not great, but I could easily envisage it (or something like it) as a precursor to the TNG uniform. Especially given some of the whackier admiral’s uniforms we saw during early TNG.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

That kinda looks like one of the "interim uniforms" FASA pulled out of their ass for their TNG Officer's Manual.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

As derivative as all the stuff FASA did… OK, it’s *a* possibility that a move back towards jumpsuits might have been inspired by the enlisted-personnel’s utility uniform from the previous period, but it could be something just as out-there as the TNG uniform is in the context of following on from the monster maroon, but that crucially DOESN’T represent ANY sort of intermediate step between the two.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps