Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » Star Trek Prodigy: Axed

Author Topic: Star Trek Prodigy: Axed
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Deadline:

quote:
Paramount+ has canceled a slew of its originals including Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies, Star Trek: Prodigy, Queen of the Universe and The Game and is taking the shows off its platform as it becomes the latest media company to take a content write-down.

Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies has been canceled after one season, Star Trek: Prodigy will not be going forth with its previously announced second season, The Game has been canceled after two seasons and Graham Norton-hosted reality series Queen of the Universe has been axed after two seasons.

This excerpt though ... is interesting:

quote:
Star Trek: Prodigy is an animated kids series set in the Star Trek universe.

The series premiered on Paramount+ in October 2021 with its first tranche of ten episodes, which were later aired on Nickelodeon. The second batch of ten episodes streamed between October and December 2022. It was renewed for a second season in November, one that was set to air later this before the reversal.

The series follows the crew of the U.S.S. Protostar.

Developed by Kevin and Dan Hageman and produced by Nickelodeon Animation studio and CBS Studios, the CG-animated series Star Trek: Prodigy was the first Star Trek series aimed at younger audiences, and follows a motley crew of young aliens who must figure out how to work together while navigating a greater galaxy, in search of a better future. These six young outcasts know nothing about the ship they have commandeered – a first in the history of the “Star Trek” franchise – but over the course of their adventures together, they will each be introduced to Starfleet and the ideals it represents.

Voice cast includes Kate Mulgrew (Hologram Kathryn Janeway), Brett Gray (Dal), Ella Purnell (Gwyn), Rylee Alazraqui (Rok-Tahk), Angus Imrie (Zero), Jason Mantzoukas (Jankom Pog), Dee Bradley Baker (Murf), John Noble (The Diviner) and Jimmi Simpson (Drednok).

Star Trek: Prodigy is from CBS’ Eye Animation Productions, CBS Studios’ new animation arm; Nickelodeon Animation Studio, led by President of Animation Ramsey Naito; Secret Hideout; and Roddenberry Entertainment. Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin, Aaron Baiers, Katie Krentz, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth serve as executive producers, alongside co-showrunners Kevin and Dan Hageman and Ben Hibon, who also directs and serves as executive producer and the creative lead of the animated series.

The new season will complete post-production, and the studio will be looking for a new home for Star Trek: Prodigy as season one comes off the service shortly.

The company said that “continues to be invested in growing the Star Trek franchise” with series including Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, movie event Star Trek: Section 31, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, which returned for its second season June 15 and has been renewed for a third season, animated series Star Trek: Lower Decks, which will return for its fourth season later this year and has also been renewed for a fifth season, the upcoming final season of Star Trek: Discovery as well as Star Trek: Picard.

So -- I think I bolded that section -- but it sounds like S2 of Prodigy is mostly complete and will air, just not on Paramount Plus for some reason.
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I wasn't expecting Prodigy to get a Season 3, given how badly it was treated by Nickelodeon/Paramount+. But dumping it from Paramount+ altogether? I do not comprehend. [Frown]

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it certainly seemed odd to take a show you own off your streaming service since at that point it's just residuals and hard drive space.

However, (a) the Nickelodeon connection probably hurts and (b) depending on the show's budget, they may have to pay a bulk residuals rate the season in advance, and if the show's not an adequate draw for the apparent sudden P+ budget cuts then there's no good reason to keep sinking money into it, though letting production finish may make sense.

https://www.ep.com/blog/the-evolution-of-residuals-how-streaming-has-changed-the-model/

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annnd Netflix have picked it up. Probably in a bid to contend with the yawning chasm of no content they’re facing next year, given the strikes and their “You didn’t watch the whole season of this show you SAY you love SEVERAL TIMES in the first 24 hours of release so we’re cancelling it” algorithm. But, whatevs, it’s a win for the fans.

And it’s being announced now instead of, say, at the panel at NYCC because that is a Star Trek Universe (i.e. on P+) one. How petty is that? Next Prodigy will be announced to not be canon anymore, they’ll kill off Chakotay on Lower Decks or something…

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if we only get the one season, at least it'll be properly ended.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I don't see a Season 3 happening, so I hope Season 2 wraps things up nicely.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps