Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » SNW 2x09 "Subspace Rhapsody" ($$$)

Author Topic: SNW 2x09 "Subspace Rhapsody" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a whole lot to say about this episode, weirdly. It was fine, overall, but didn't wow me like I presume it was intended to. The cast can sing well, though, gotta give it to them.

Bunnies! Bunnies! It must be bunnies!

Was not expecting Kirk to currently be in a relationship with pregnant Carol Marcus, but it makes sense that would be happening about now.

+0.5 points for Bruce Horak being in the episode, but not playing Hemmer. In fact, I was convinced until seeing the credits that the Klingon captain was played by J.G. Hertzler.

+5,000,000 points for Klingon bridge crew boy band rapping about killing everyone. I laughed uncontrollably at this.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"No one wants singing Klingons."

I ... uh, I do. I want many singing Klingons.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was fine, I guess. Does it work as an episode? I suppose so. Is it good as a musical? No idea, I don’t really like musicals to begin with, so I don’t have any expertise from or benchmark to judge it against.

It’s hardly a novel step to do a musical episode, so if you want or expect Trek to be breaking new ground instead of treading well-worn paths, then you’re probably going to hate this episode.

And it may not be new in itself, but it’s certainly different for Trek. It’s something that’s really struck me about nuTrek: it is trying new things.

DSC started out as a rather anachronistic prequel but then went really into the unknown, doing a millennium-long time jump and exploring issues of loss and disconnection and stress and trauma that resonate especially after the pandemic.

LDS is a cartoon show that parodies Trek while still BEING Trek.

PDG is a Trek kids show.

Although most of what PIC tried with Trek’s most popular IP wasn’t that popular… but then when it did what people wanted with the IP and it was REALLY popular - which kind of subverts my premise…

So, if sooner they be doing stuff like this than a (mercifully now almost abandoned) Georgiou show, or Star Trek 90210 (Saved By The Commbadge? Anyway, really hoping the strike proves the death knell for this one too) - Section 31 and Starfleet Academy are old ideas.

And it’s getting noticed:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/aug/03/mr-spock-belting-out-showtunes-how-strange-new-worlds-became-a-fizzy-frantic-romp

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I'm calling it -- Batel's dead by the end of next episode (more likely by the beginning).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Mrs. McMurray's gonna die. She got a name.

A+ for Carol Marcus. Also A+ for "200 crew members", although it's a ludicrous amount for a ludicrously upsized ship. BUT, F- for calling them K'Tinga-class ships in 2260 when they should be D7. But hey, this is an AU where they can do whatever the fuck they want, so fuck it. Also, 90s music fans: songs were cowritten by Kay Hanley, lead singer from Letters To Cleo. You can hear some reused bars in them.

Look, I love musicals...but this was not it. Star Trek is not the vehicle for such things. It felt super forced, & jarring as hell. It didn't work. This show is feeling more & more forced as we go on. I'm tired of Jawline!Kirk hanging around. I'm tired of always the same ships being around. I'm tired of theme episodes. I'm tired of "snappy dialogue" & "hey we're all cool friends" interaction that would not cut it within the professional confines of a starship.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh good, not just me getting the Batel and Cayuga going bye-bye vibes then.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently watching this, and all I've got to say is this...dear god, make it stop. For the love of god, make it stop! Another decade of cancellation would be better than this.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Oh good, not just me getting the Batel and Cayuga going bye-bye vibes then.

I mean, the minute she said priority-one mission, & given we know what next week's episode is generally about, why wouldn't I expected her to be fridged?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
given we know what next week's episode is generally about

Next week's episode is the one where they go on an impromptu beach holiday, and Pike jumps over a shark on a motorbike isn't it? Just the shark ends up being The Sisko returned from the celestial temple, after he's been assimilated for...reasons.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BUT, F- for calling them K'Tinga-class ships in 2260 when they should be D7.
Was D7 ever used by Klingons? Maybe it's the Federation's designation for the K'Tinga. And perhaps the class received a similiar refit as the Constitution-class.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Shik
Member # 343

Yeah, in DSC S2. And yeah, K'Tinga was oft considered the refit D7.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps