Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » $$ 2x14 "Such Sweet Sorrow, Part II" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ 2x14 "Such Sweet Sorrow, Part II"
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
So the only thing that could save the Enterprise from an antimatter explosion in the primary hull was to close some sort of blast door - with a window in it?! - from the inside, so... why not just get one of those nifty repair drones to do it?

Yes, that bugged me.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zipacna:
There's one hell of a big difference between what a civilian in charge of their own vehicle may chose to do, though, and a vessel of what is basically a military organisation where the commanding officer has given orders to undertake a certain action. The orders may very well have been stupid orders (and the writing has left plot holes you could have parked the Discovery in where control would never have found it), but you're comparing apples & oranges there. Unless you want to defy orders & wind up in the brig for insubordination, yes Pike's orders do make it impossible to make a jump.

I'm not clear on why you're framing the problem as one of disobeying Pike. The issue is that it is a silly idea. Burnham certainly hasn't shied away from telling Pike what to go do with himself, but the problem is that the writing left Pike and the entire crew idiots who'd go into battle with questionable odds of survival rather than pop over to HQ for not just assistance, but also to let Command know that failure meant a murderous and newly-wicked-smart AI thing was coming.

Of course, they could've just jumped to a point beyond a twelve-hour intercept mark to do the thingy with the magic time suit, then had everything up to and including the spore drive ready for the Section 27 fleet ("a few short, sir!"), so that Control could witness the firepower of the fully armed and operational Discovery and its zippity-doo-drive, just as with Clawngon ships last season, rather than endangering the Enterprise at all.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched again, in the credits there’s a Klingon character called K’Vort... I wonder if he is the name-sake of the K’Vort class??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
I'm not clear on why you're framing the problem as one of disobeying Pike. The issue is that it is a silly idea. Burnham certainly hasn't shied away from telling Pike what to go do with himself, but the problem is that the writing left Pike and the entire crew idiots who'd go into battle with questionable odds of survival rather than pop over to HQ for not just assistance, but also to let Command know that failure meant a murderous and newly-wicked-smart AI thing was coming.

Of course, they could've just jumped to a point beyond a twelve-hour intercept mark to do the thingy with the magic time suit, then had everything up to and including the spore drive ready for the Section 27 fleet ("a few short, sir!"), so that Control could witness the firepower of the fully armed and operational Discovery and its zippity-doo-drive, just as with Clawngon ships last season, rather than endangering the Enterprise at all. [/QB]

I'm framing it that way because a starship isn't a democracy, and a crew isn't at liberty to do whatever it wants. Ultimately Pike gave an order that made the spore drive inoperative, hence why they didn't do what you're suggesting they should have done. To then use the drive you'd either have to wait until it's repaired (which would have been after the battle), or use it before you do what you'd been ordered to do. I'm not denying it was a stupid idea that could have been better planned by the writers...but in universe presumably the crew were giving a commanding officer that they trust the benefit of the doubt & not questioning the decision at a critical moment.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.