Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » PIC 1x03 "The End is the Beginning" ($$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: PIC 1x03 "The End is the Beginning" ($$$)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it just me, or did Raffi seem to imply that she was living in a shack in the middle of nowhere not by choice? When she showed up at the end of the last episode, I assumed she was supposed to be some sort of "off the grid" type who had decided to go live in a trailer in the desert. But then she was all "you get to live on an estate, but my house is a hovel", and I'm wondering "Then why don't you move somewhere else? This is the Earth of Star Trek. It's a post-capitalist, post-scarcity society that has been repeatedly held up as a 'paradise' (even in episodes that make a point out of the fact that not all parts of the Federation are). If you want a nicer house, have someone replicate one for you."

I guess it's one more thing to add to the list of exhibits in the case for "these people just want to make a sci-fi show of their own design, and don't really care about making it fit into the Trek universe that's been established over decades".

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that bothered me, too.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, no matter how unrestricted the energy, there are still finite resources and finite land. And you have to be part of the system. Couldn’t she be both? Off the grid, but not entirely by choice.

It does seem extreme though, and would be incredibly petty. I have to wonder if something else happened to get her kicked out of Starfleet too. Sure, when JL (sigh) got shown the door she lost her post as his aide, but surely the fleet admiral wasn’t so callous as to force her all the way out because of Picard alone?

As an aside, I think it’s funny that we are confronted with another “celebrity paradox” like with the Space Shuttle Enterprise in TMP. Raffi lives at the actual Vasquez Rocks, which look suspiciously identical to many other rock formations around the galaxy... [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hodgkin strikes again.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I forgot to mention : It would have been nice if the scene between the Romulan Wonder Twins had been a little less bordering-on-incest-y.

Edit : I also forgot another thing. Why, when Picard boards Rios' ship, is he dressed like my grandpa?

[ February 12, 2020, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: TSN ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps