Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » Star Trek: Lower Decks trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek: Lower Decks trailer
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/07/the-first-star-trek-lower-decks-trailer-is-here/

What do we think?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good. Ship is still fugly (although I admit a few of the angles used in the trailer made it look halfway decent), but it seems like my kind of comedy.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks very promising! Lots of leaning-on-the-fourth-wall humor poking affectionate fun at the Trek format if the trailer is anything to go by. The nonhuman aliens had a strong “Rick and Morty” vibe (no surprise there). As long as the trailer didn’t show the only good jokes, I think it should be good!

The phaser gag at the end got a literal LOL from me. [Big Grin]

Ensign Boimler (the uptight one) might get really tiring really fast, though. Hopefully not!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with both posts above. I actually laughed, which was a good sign. The ship design is growing on me. I love the little touches like using LCARS etc. Also hoping that not just the “best bits”.

Hopefully it also has a story/heart which is what Trek is about and it’s not TOO self deprecating.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. Nope. Nope.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't kept up with Trek stuff lately (with the exception of Picard) so for me this came out of nowhere.

The ship design makes no sense to me. Getting to the deflector dish looks like a pain in the ass. Must be one hell of a big saucer to fit everything in it.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously it is accessed the same way as the deflector dish of the Steamrunner class or the pods of the NX, Miranda and Oberth class.

So, if this show is supposed to be canonical how do we rationalize the over-the-top humour? I'm ok with joking ensigns but shooting phasers at each other? Maybe a fictionalized account of a real starship and its crew produced by the Federation's Nickelodeon?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lot of scandalised reactions to this out there. I mean, Jesus H., it’s an adult animation show with infantile humour created by someone known previously for an adult animation show with infantile humour. What the fuck were you all expecting, Star Trek: Citizen Kane?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. This show wasn't ever going to be something like Macross. And even despite what the showrunners have said, I highly doubt it's going to adhere to any kind of 'canon' in the strictest sense of the word. Hell, one of the promo images shows both a TOS shuttle and a TMP airtram as generic shuttles on Qo'nos!

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So? PIC uses STD shuttles. [Wink]
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Obviously it is accessed the same way as the deflector dish of the Steamrunner class or the pods of the NX, Miranda and Oberth class.

Well yeah. I'm not saying it's impossible... I'm sure there's a dedicated transporter room for it. With back up Jefferies Tubes. And the only people even needing to go there are engineering staff that work there.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Wow, they managed to make a mistake within 90 seconds into the show.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Explain?

--------------------

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“Romulan Whiskey” should be “Romulan Ale”, but other than that, it looks good to me.

And it is blue. [Smile]

Lee
Member # 393

Frankly, it never made sense to me. It’s not an ale. It’s obviously a spirit of sone kind, a wine analogue at a stretch. But an ale? Nah. And if you want to be dogmatic about it, the existence of Romulan Ale doesn’t preclude there also being Romulan Whisky.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps