Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » The Other Cartoon: Prodigy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Other Cartoon: Prodigy
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm of two minds on that ship name. On the one hand, the rational part of my brain thinks that we've had ship classes named after astronomical phenomena before (Nebula, Galaxy, etc.) and sees nothing wrong with it. But the aesthetic part of my brain just doesn't think it sounds like a ship name.

The ship looks pretty good though.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it's a relatively small ship? Can't see what's going on on the underside, but the top half looks like maybe four or five decks?

Not really a fan of the Abramsverse-looking nacelles or the bridge (?) that's almost entirely glass.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the design of the ship, from what little we’ve seen. The fore-aft profile looks a little simplistic, almost diamond-shaped. I agree it looks like about a 5- or 6-deck upper saucer, which suggests a ship slightly larger than a Nova but definitely smaller than an Intrepid.

It’s hard to see for sure, but yeah, it definitely looks like there’s plenty of windows on the bridge. Which doesn’t bother me as much when it’s not a glaring anachronism. (Abrams and Disco) After all, the Enterprise-E had a blank wall with a holographic viewscreen, so why not just have windows instead? It makes just as much sense as having the whole bridge exposed at the top of the ship anyhow. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soooo...set in the Delta Quadrant...in 2383. But, there's a whole-ass recent-build Starfleet ship just, y'know...sitting there. Plus there's a Medusan & a Tellarite that looks nothing like a Tellarite. In the Delta Quadrant. And a holo-Janeway. And they're making more novelverse shit canon with this Brikar thing.

My butthole is spasming.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no! They’re bringing names and aliens from the novels into canon! I’m sure Hikaru Sulu and Nyota Uhura would never stand for that.

Considering that there’s a Talaxian now settled down over 40,000 light years from his homeworld and Humans who observed the Borg in the Delta Quadrant in the 2350s, I can think of all sort of possible ways for a Tellarite to make it it out that far from home. And Starfleet misplaces its shit all the time, I have no trouble believing it lost a prototype, especially if it was testing a new propulsion system. (Just guessing there.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Considering that there’s a Talaxian now settled down over 40,000 light years from his homeworld

At least we know how Neelix got there. We never did get an explanation as to how all the other Talaxians crossed the entire quadrant.

Plus we don't know that this initial world they're all escaping from is in the Delta Quadrant. Could be that Starfleet built the prototype ship, lost it in the Alpha/Beta Quadrant, the kids find it, engage the drive again, and wind up in the Delta Quadrant.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Krenim:
At least we know how Neelix got there. We never did get an explanation as to how all the other Talaxians crossed the entire quadrant.

True, except that if it were a one-off character, many nitpickers wouldn’t find “Neelix hitchhiked 40,000 light years in 7 years” to be a satisfactory answer. There’s a lot of weird stuff that happens in Trek, but we often expect it to all be explained perfectly and on-screen. [Wink]
quote:
Plus we don't know that this initial world they're all escaping from is in the Delta Quadrant. Could be that Starfleet built the prototype ship, lost it in the Alpha/Beta Quadrant, the kids find it, engage the drive again, and wind up in the Delta Quadrant.
Agreed. We can’t make too many assumptions yet.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After all the Discovery monstrosities it's good to finally see something familiar again. Not too keen on the name.

The animation looks amazing.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

Prodigy Main Title Sequence

Music's nice.

I'm not wowed by the visuals. The Protostar travelling by/in/past representations of the main characters, I think?

The Protostar seems to have two different modes. The second mode looks very Dauntless-esque, so we might very well be dealing with a quantum slipstream drive.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Agreed, the music is excellent. I wasn’t surprised to see it was composed by Michael Giacchino.

The visuals seem a bit “simple” but it feels right… and presumably will look better with the actual text appearing. And personally, I prefer it to the design student’s orgasm that is the Discovery credits.

Edit: The scenes the ship is flying though are the main characters! I can’t believe I didn’t spot that. I like it a lot more knowing that.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one with the ENT theme is better. The music is meh.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Janeway hologram should wear a FC or LD uniform as the ship's clearly not from the DS9/VOY jumpsuit era.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
The Janeway hologram should wear a FC or LD uniform as the ship's clearly not from the DS9/VOY jumpsuit era.

I dunno, I think it fits. Janeway at her most (in)famous. Let's say the training hologram resembled Kirk instead of Janeway. Could you really picture holo-Kirk wearing any uniform besides either the TOS or WoK one?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps