Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » LD 1x07 "Much Ado About Boimler" ($$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LD 1x07 "Much Ado About Boimler" ($$$)
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression the cadets would be serving as supplemental assistance to the existing crews.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
quote:
Like in ST '09 Pike gave Kirk an acting captain position which honestly made no sense as Spock was his XO and should have been made acting captain, but whatever.
Uh, I do not believe this is correct. When Pike decided to go aboard the Romulan ship, he made Kirk acting first officer: Spock was acting captain until he removed himself from duty at which point Kirk was elevated to acting captain. But yes, it's weird the ship didn't already have an actual second officer.

You're right. It's been a while since I watched it.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There IS TNG's The Arsenal of Freedom where Picard puts LaForge in command when he beams down to the planet, despite the fact that chief-engineer-of-the-week Logan is a full Lieutenant (LaForge at the time is only a j.g.); and Logan even comes to the bridge to request that LaForge hand over command. He can't just assume command because it would countermand Picard's orders; granted if Picard had known the Enterprise would have come under attack I don't think he would have left the ship.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringing up LaForge reminds me that he went from Lt.(jg) to Lt.Cdr. in about a year. So rapid promotions are possible. Though he’s hardly a poster boy for it, having taken eight years to get to Lt. and stayed a Lt.Cdr. for at least the next 13..!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I mean, if you want to talk rapid promotion -- weren't LaForge and Riker in the same Academy class?

And yeah, LaForge jumped in rank rapidly -- Lt. JG in season 1, Lieutenant in S2, Lt. Commander in S3. I do wonder what the production rational for something like that is when compared to keeping Harry, Travis, and Hoshi as ensigns for the entire runs of their show.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better not to think too much about it. Harry graduated in 2370 and was essentially a department head and senior office in 2371 while still an ensign.

As for Hoshi and Travis, Earth Starfleet seemed to have fewer officer ranks (we never saw a Lt. JG or Lt. Cmdr.) and at least 3 different crewman grades.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Voyager it was kind of lame how officers really didn't get promoted. Especially in the case of Ensign Kim. By the time the series ended he should have easily been a full lieutenant.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.