Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » First Contact Day 2021 News

Author Topic: First Contact Day 2021 News
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disco

New teaser trailer - Seems as though there's some massive negative space wedgie randomly causing havoc in the galaxy. I HATE the new uniforms. I really liked the 32nd Century uniforms from Season 3... But they just had to go and mess with the colors, didn't they?

Picard

New teaser trailer - Q confirmed for Season 2.

Lower Decks

New teaser trailer - Nothing of note to report. Just seems like more of the same, which is not a bad thing in the slightest.

Prodigy

3D model for "Janeway" revealed. It looks EXACTLY like Voyager Season 1 Janeway. Eerily so. However, "Janeway" is not the actual flesh-and-blood Captain/Admiral Kathryn Janeway. Rather, she is an ETH... Emergency Training Hologram.

Also revealed is that the show is set at around the same time as Lower Decks (post-Voyager post-Nemesis pre-Picard) and takes place in the Delta Quadrant.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm highly underwhelmed.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Q and Picard is something I’ve been really hoping for since they first announced the series. It seems like they’re going to do a sort of follow up to All Good Things with a bit of Tapestry thrown in. (Which sounds promising in my book.) Combine that with the fact that we already know that Whoopi Goldberg will be back as Guinan, and this has loads of potential!

Also, imaginary points to Krenim who wrote “time is the real final frontier” twenty years ago. [Wink]

Disco looks like more of the same. At this point I don’t hate it, and I even like many of the characters, but the overwrought trope-filled melodrama still annoys me a bit. But I can live with it. Not every show can be (insert your favorite series here).

I can’t wait watch Prodigy with my 9-year-old niece. She’s seen a few random bits of Trek before, but never got hooked. This is a show that should be very accessible for her... THEN I can get her to watch more of the rest.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, seeing Q and Guinan together again is where my mind went as well. John de Lancie and Whoopi Goldberg have great chemistry together. I can only hope that the Picard writers don't try to explain how they know each other. I've always like that mysterious aspect of their relationship, plus I don't trust these writers to come up with anything great.

Yay, imaginary points!

Yeah, Disco is far from a perfect series, though I do think it has been slowly improving. Then again, I don't think any Trek show is perfect. (TNG has its cringe-worthy Season 1, and I still don't like several of the choices DS9 made in its final 1.5 seasons.)

I'm hoping Prodigy is going to be more a "family" show than a "children's" show. Something that can be enjoyed by Trek fans of all ages rather than something so dumbed down for kids that adults can only fall asleep/roll their eyes/go insane.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh.

"Captain's log. Now that I am making the captain's log and have been given the imprimatur of the captaincy, I can speechify to myself with even more breathy wannabe-profundity as I blather on about nonsense as self-importantly as possible as if paid by the word, just like always. However, now that I am doing them longer and with greater sense of self-importance as the holder of the captaincy, my thoughts are even more profound, having been spoken in captain-ese. And yet, the computer has given up and keeps trying to activate the self-destruct every time I begin a new log, as if the ridiculous teeny-bopper emotionalism I've cultivated in this crew has infected the computer, as well, and it just can't bear to listen to me. I have to make it understand that we're all unique and special -- especially me, the captain -- and that we're all in this . . . together."

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious how they'll handle the appearance of De Lancie's age. Granted Q's human form isn't his true appearance so I suppose there's an easy workaround to explain it.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That’s easy, Hobbes! [Wink]

Scene: La Sirena bridge

A *flash* as Q appears. Using digital de-aging FX he looks like he did in TNG.

Q: "Mon capitane! Did you miss me?"

Q reacts to Picard's aged appearance.

Q: "Oh my... sometimes I forget how quickly you mortals age."

He snaps his fingers, and in a *flash* Q now looks like 2021-era John de Lancie.

Q: "Here, is this better?"

[Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Krenim:
I'm hoping Prodigy is going to be more a "family" show than a "children's" show. Something that can be enjoyed by Trek fans of all ages rather than something so dumbed down for kids that adults can only fall asleep/roll their eyes/go insane.

I think that’s what they’re going to do. I recall reading that they’re aiming for the pre-teen age group, so it won’t be like some PBS show (not that there’s something wrong with that).

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.