Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » LD 2x09 "wej Duj" ($$$)

Author Topic: LD 2x09 "wej Duj" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pressed for time this morning, folks, so I will do my full write-up later today. But if I don't get these two things off my chest now, I will explode.

This. This is why Lower Decks is hands down the best of the current Trek shows.

Also, if I can't buy a RITOS shirt soon, I will experience Shaxs levels of rage.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I think the Pakleds can’t seem any stupider, they find a way. Calling their huge warships “clumpships”? Perfect.

Every character got a moment to shine in their own way. Boimler stumbling in to Freeman and Mariner’s game of velocity was awesome. And T’Ana saying that the holodeck safeties were “ehh, probably” on? Classic.

And they did an amazing job of developing the primary Vulcan and Klingon lower-deckers too, especially in such short scenes.

One serious thought: for a culture that supposedly embraces IDIC, it seems odd that Vulcans would so strongly (dare I say emotionally?) shun someone who exhibits an affinity for the improbable. She even quoted Spock (probably deliberately, though she didn’t say it by name). And we got a “sarcastic Vulcan salute” at the end, a great callback to Mariner’s last season.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so!

• Great Vulcan ship design. Very cool.

• Why do I feel like we'll be seeing T'Lyn soon, if not next season?

• Shaxs' anger therapy, yo.

• TR-116 reference! Space Clue! Good point about chefs.

• Robin Atkin Downes–Byron from B5–was the original Klingon first officer! Also, the Dorg/M'ach fight was pretty good.

• Callbacks to Horner's TSFS score in the final battle moments

• Marc Evan Jackson–from Brooklyn Nine-Nine & The Good Place–as captain of the Sh'Vhal

• That end credits scene

• Aww, poor Kayshon...

• Memory Alpha doesn't list it, but I am 10000% certain that the voice of the Klingon saying "Captain, we are being hailed" is Michael Dorn. Maybe a new quick shot, maybe reuse from TNG or DS9, but it sure as hell sounded like Worf.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what's better: the line "Red Alarm, Red Alarm" or its delivery.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, the delivery for sure!

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I haven't done my full review yet, folks. Seems like it keeps getting shoved to the bottom of my to-do list because I'd need to actually watch the episode again.

Also, to follow up on my earlier statement, the RITOS shirt is now in the Star Trek store. I have already purchased one. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Every time I think the Pakleds can’t seem any stupider, they find a way. Calling their huge warships “clumpships”? Perfect.

No, no, no. The perfect part was that the ship's name was actually Pakled.

quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
I don't know what's better: the line "Red Alarm, Red Alarm" or its delivery.

Both. I couldn't stop laughing during that whole scene because of that. It's a perfect storm of stupid (in a very good way).

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! I was re-watching the episode last night, and there were two things I noticed that I don't think were addressed here:

--A Starfleet officer in Operations who appeared to be wearing a gold hijab (seen in background);

--An inexperienced young individual is speaking with Boimler at the end of the episode. He's wearing a TNG-style uniform -- black shoulder, gray insert. There's a table behind Ransom & the Mooners with three other people wearing this uniform. My presumption is that these are cadets?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
An inexperienced young individual is speaking with Boimler at the end of the episode. He's wearing a TNG-style uniform -- black shoulder, gray insert. There's a table behind Ransom & the Mooners with three other people wearing this uniform. My presumption is that these are cadets?

Yeah, the TrekCulture YouTube channel called them a bunch of Wesley's. I can't remember if it's ever been established, but maybe Starfleet has a thing where young teen prospective cadets do that. We know most Starfleet ships have children onboard, so maybe there's a pre-Academy program older teens on deployed starships can join to increase their chances at enrollment. Makes sense. You can't just walk up to the Navy academy and be like, "I want in." You have to apply and then be accepted, and anything you can do to look better than the competition increases your odds.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
You can't just walk up to the Navy academy and be like, "I want in."

Though within the actual franchise we’re talking about, Abramsverse Kirk does precisely that…

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
You can't just walk up to the Navy academy and be like, "I want in."

Though within the actual franchise we’re talking about, Abramsverse Kirk does precisely that…
Wellll ... except Kirk is recruited by Capt. Pike, so ... not exactly.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps