Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » PRO 1x03 "Starstruck" ($$$)

Author Topic: PRO 1x03 "Starstruck" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad.

Holo-Janeway gives the gang some exposition concerning the Federation and Starfleet. However, she seems a bit too oblivious that these are not even cadets.

I think this is the first bit of dialogue that confirms that the Federation straddles both the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. Kudos.

No explanation as to where in the galaxy they current are, though. I've heard a good theory that the "unwanted" on Tars Lamora are the other Alpha/Beta Quadrant folks (or descendants thereof) snatched by the Caretaker, but that's pure guessing, I think. Would kinda make sense in a funny sort of way that the Delta Quadrant folks would lock up everyone else from the Federation after Janeway's swath of destruction through the quadrant. [Wink]

Vehicle replicator?! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Someone on the writing staff is both a Voyager fan and has a cheeky sense of humor.

The Diviner's fortress is also a starship. Nifty. Also, Tars Lamora has a cloaking device.

Also, the Protostar has two warp cores and an unknown third device down in Engineering. I'm guessing slipstream drive.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet it involves something using this "chimerium" shit.

Anyway, I spent half the episode going "STUPID FUCKING KID!!" Definitely no worries bout Wesleyism in this show.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it depends on how advanced the hologram is, but I can already be pretty sure from Holo-Janeway’s knowing side-eyes and casual coffee-drinking that she know’s what’s up. Even cadets have uniforms. Both from the short-term “let them fly into a stellar collision” to whatever the long game is, she’s taking the “let them learn by making mistakes” form of teaching.

The vehicle replicator is freakin’ hilarious. Now we know why the Voyager crew was on replicator rations for the whole journey, they were constantly replicating whole (or parts to assemble) new shuttles.

I also love how they’re not only introducing kids to concepts like the Federation and Starfleet and technology like replicators, but even simple vocabulary like “starboard”. Stuff that I learned either by listening and assuming or by looking it up in the Encyclopedia.

The characterization is still a little thin, but that’s okay. It seems like the story is going to bring out the development, the kids (and viewers) discover themselves as they go.

Also, we saw the cute Caitian kid again, now stuck in the mines. No points for guessing she’ll be important in the future.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, sure, automatically eject the fucking escape pods, I can’t conceive of any possible scenario when that might come back to bite a crew in the arse.

Over on Twitter, Jörg has this theory that the Protostar is one of the two ships sent to intercept Voyager, as mentioned in “Pathfinder” or “Life Line”. It doesn’t make sense because why would this ship have a Janeway hologram on board?

The timeline doesn’t allow it. Starfleet learns Voyager is “alive” in 4.14; makes contact again in 6.10; establishes regular contact in 6.24. I got the impression the two deep-space ships were already part of the way out there, and we don’t know when the Protostar crashed. We don’t yet know what happened to the crew, and it must have had one - there’s no sign of the type of automation it would require. Some in the discussion have suggested the holograms would be an en-route patch update but again, why Janeway?

When she’s learned to be alive the Dominion War was in full swing. Thousands of personnel dead or likely still to die. Why memorialise the captain of a small science vessel who’d seemingly perished on a routine mission? And even then they don’t know what she might have done to stay alive - she might have gone the full Equinox (not that they knew about that either, yet). There’s a line in 6.24 that suggests when they transmitted their logs in 6.10, it didn’t include casualties - WTF?!

No, the only way a Janeway hologram could be developed would be with her cooperation once back home, and with lessons learned from the Emergency Command Hologram.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they can replicate shuttles, I’m sure they could replicate escape pods. Another post I saw on Twitter mentioned that some of the shots in the escape pod scene were a near-match for the climax of Spaceballs when Skroob is looking for an empty escape pod to use.

I agree, this ship must be newer and launched after Voyager got back. Janeway’s a Captain and so fairly important in Starfleet (and certainly more important than Freeman and other Cali-class captains if Lower Decks is to be taken at face value)… but she definitely wouldn’t be notable enough to be the template for a hologram until she got back. I’m sure whatever the mysterious third engine core is will explain a lot of things.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps