Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » PRO 1x05 "Terror Firma" ($$$)

Author Topic: PRO 1x05 "Terror Firma" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another decent episode.

Holo-Janeway gets to show some initiative as she holds the super-organism's vines at bay.

I think I give up with this show's sense of geography, though. What do we find crashed on a planet in Hirogen system? A Klingon ship, of course! Make up your mind, show. Is this the Delta Quadrant or the Alpha Quadrant?

This week's lesson for the kiddies: You can navigate by the stars.

The Diviner shows up and is forced to choose between rescuing Gwyn and taking the Protostar. He chooses the Protostar, which cements Gwyn's heel-face turn.

And the joke's on the Diviner when he himself gets fooled by the super-organism.

And the Protostar's mystery device is revealed as a literal protostar drive. That's far from the stupidest thing introduced in New Trek, but it's a far cry from realistic. Sure, the Romulans use contained singularities, but singularities can be that small. Protostars... can't.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's probably the reason behind the gravimetric contaonment. Maybe a gravity drive?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Losing interest in the characters now. They’re all one-note. The Tellarite is stupid. The Brikar is infantile. Dal is cocky. The Medusan is possibly the only interesting one.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean, it IS a kids' show.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I thought it might transcend that but seemingly not.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

Believe me, I feel you. I spend a lot of time going "THIS STUPID FUCKING KID...!"

My friend's 5yo love it, though, so success in its intended audience, I suppose.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The character development for the main kids has been about what I expected, personally. Nothing terribly complex or earth-shattering, it seems so far the writers want to err on the side of not overwhelming the kids with deep characters. But this has almost been a four-episode pilot, so there’s plenty of time to develop them more.

And I’m a little surprised at the self-awareness and initiative of Holo-Janeway (in a good way). The “clean house” line was classic Janeway, I had a flashback to “Macrocosm” with her breaking out the phaser rifles.

I’m also a little confused about the nature of the “protostar” drive. Obviously there’s something high-tech going on for it to be an advanced drive testbed. But real protostars are just compressed balls of plasma undergoing nuclear fusion… which is what they use for the impulse reactors! So whatever this new gadget is, there must be more to it.

And obviously it has its kinks and won’t be safe to use long term or Starfleet would’ve used it after The Burn, so… [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
Member # 393

As a dad approaching middle age with teenage daughters I spend all my time going round the house switching off lights and checking the thermostat, so I tutted at the idea of the drive drawing all that power when only on standby.

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
As a dad approaching middle age with teenage daughters I spend all my time going round the house switching off lights and checking the thermostat, so I tutted at the idea of the drive drawing all that power when only on standby.

Don't forget to yell at the neighborhood kids to get off your lawn. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had another shippy related thought. I was originally bothered by the design of the Protostar with its enormous boarding ramp (what happened to transporters?) where the deflector dish normally goes. I don’t have a problem with the new deflector dish slotted into the lower saucer section, but why have that enormous front-facing panel that does nothing but still visually mimics past designs?

Then I realized with the internal arrangement of the ship and the huge volume taken up by the “proto-warp” engine, it’s not a boarding ramp, it’s a maintenance hatch to easily access and swap out parts for the very large and experimental propulsion system.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Member # 343

That's....a really good idea.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the little Lord of the Rings homage when “General Grievous” was after them.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps