Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » PRO 1x08 "Time Amok" ($$$)

Author Topic: PRO 1x08 "Time Amok" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this might be my favorite episode of the season thus far. The plot is kinda recycled from Voyager's "Fractured", but again I'll give it a bit of a pass since the target audience likely hasn't seen it.

The kids are trying to bounce back from the events of the last episode. Janeway has the kids trying to solve a logic problem together on the holodeck, to no avail. This is primarily a Rok episode, which shows that the other kids are just assuming Rok is the ship's "security officer" due to her size and strength. She is quite uncomfortable with this.

The kids get frustrated enough that they finally tell Janeway that they are not Starfleet cadets. Janeway seems to be shocked by this, which is kinda odd because previous episodes have kinda hinted that she already knew.

Nandi predictably contacts the Diviner with the Protostar's location. The Rev-12 would take months to reach them, so instead Drednok transmits his program to the ship and has the industrial replicator start building him a new physical body. That is... actually pretty clever. Kudos.

A tachyon storm damages the protostar drive, causing time to be fractured throughout the ship. The only one able to move between time frames is Janeway, who gets the kids to build off each other's work to eventually build the gizmo that saves the ship.

Drednok is in Gwyn's timeframe and tries to take the ship. Janeway confronts him... only for Drednok to try to delete her... with Chakotay's command codes. Curiouser and curiouser.

Rok is finally able to save the ship due to having time move slowly enough that she can learn how to finally finish the device. Perhaps she'll wind up being the ship's "science officer".

Drednok seems not to be as broken as it earlier appeared.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, baby crew’s first temporal anomaly!

We got a stardate from Janeway, but… it was wrong? Six digits plus a decimal. Apparently that was that was done on purpose, and the systems were being affected by the approaching storm. More clues that time travel is involved somehow…

Sure looks like Rok is going to be the science officer. The bit at the end with Rok retrieving Janeway because nobody told her where the warp matrix went was both funny and sweet.

Murf is indestructible, they should be the security officer! [Big Grin]

Dreadnok implies there’s something else going on, and he wasn’t the one to corrupt Janeway’s program.

I was really hoping that we’d discover that Janeway knew all along the kids weren’t actually cadets, but she sure acted surprised. Though maybe she was surprised Dal was admitting it.

[ January 21, 2022, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: MinutiaeMan ]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cute rearrangement of the title.

I don't think Janeway was surprised at finding out they weren't cadets. I think she was just annoyed at them thinking they couldn't be.

Agreed on Drednok's self-replication. Neat trick.

Stardate 607125.2 would be about 1645 on 15 February 2930.

I'm getting the feeling that the Diviner or Drednok are some version of Chakotay somehow.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps