Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » PRO 1x09 "A Moral Star, Part I"

Author Topic: PRO 1x09 "A Moral Star, Part I"
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An enjoyable episode.

We follow on from the previous episode with the kids celebrating repairing the ship (and time along with it). The broken Drednok clone transmits a message offering an exchange: The Protostar in exchange for freeing all the Unwanted on Tars Lamora.

The kids decide to rescue the unwanted, and we get a montage of them planning. We end the montage with the kids putting on Starfleet uniforms for the first time. I'm liking the design. I think it's the most TNG-ish uniform since... uh... TNG. I'm also guessing these are cadet uniforms. Janeway's version is slightly different, but not sure what that version is supposed to represent.

The Diviner channels his inner Vader. "I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further." He demands Gwyn, who agrees to go with him. We see the Diviner's contempt for the Federation/Starfleet again, and decides to stick only to the letter of the agreement by destroying Tars Lamora's power source while leaving the planet, which causes the atmospheric shield and gravity to fail.

Drednok once again shows his ability to mess with Janeway; this time reprogramming her. Gwyn is almost about to get some answers out of the Diviner when he senses Gwyn is hiding something and finds out the ship's protostar drive is missing.

Turns out that the protostar is being hidden inside Murf. The kids (minus Gwyn) get to work to get the Rev-12 up and running to rescue the Unwanted.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good cliffhanger. Those kids are good actors. [Wink]

I'm starting to realize that Starfleet *really* didn't bother improving their software security if Holo-Janeway has already had her program compromised or deleted three times in nine episodes. that’s a worse track record than Voyager's Doctor.

I’ve enjoyed the story so far, but the mystery about the Diviner and his background is starting to wear thin. Gwyn prompting to know “the truth” only to be diverted or ignored was repetitive. I’m assuming they’re building up for some big reveal in part two, but the more they string it along, they’d better have a dang good reveal.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The unis remind me a lot of the only-once-used racing kits from VGR "Drive". Like, a lot a lot.

I still can't decide which one is actually Chakotay, Drednok or the Diviner.

Murf must be short for "Mr. Fusion"–he eats anything & everything!

I liked that Dal recognized that he can't pull dumv shit out of his ass anymore. Looks like everyone's getting a character growth step in turn.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, seems like Starfleet of the Trek revival introduces new standard uniforms every other month.

The Abrams movies introduced 2 new standard uniforms (or 4 if you count the greys and Starbase unis). + Kelvin +Franklin

Discovery had 3 designs before the jump and 3 after the jump.

Lower Decks goes with the concept that lower tier ships apparently use its own design and combadge.

Picard introduced 2 so far.

Protostar is also at 2 (I think Chakotay wore something different).

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Lower Decks goes with the concept that lower tier ships apparently use its own design and combadge.

That's not entirely true. When LDS started, it seemed like the uniforms worn by the Cerritos crew were standard issue for 2380. Personnel from other ships and space stations were wearing them too. It wasn't until they showed Riker and the Titan crew still wearing the FC movie uniforms that that changed.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, looks like there's an answer for why the Protostar crew has different unis.

The tl;dr is that it's like the Excalibur crew on "Crusade": special mission, special togs.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
we knew we wanted something special for Prodigy
That's pretty much the only reason. And then they came up with a lame-ass excuse to justify it:

quote:
Since the USS Protostar is an experimental starship, we felt it gave us some freedom to create our own uniform design
quote:
we all know different styles of combadges often co-existed in the same era
Do we? As I recall they were pretty consistent. Sure, some background extras wore old uniforms, but I don't recall different combadges until "Lower Decks".

I would have prefered a coherent approach for all three 24th century shows. They all feel disconnected to me.

Forgot to mention that SNW is going to introduce yet another 23rd century uniform.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, with this deep v-neck collar that looks bloody stupid.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps