Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The 'little' man... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The 'little' man...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do we never see reocurring stories about crewmen/yeomen in Star Trek, just the fancy "senior staff" and so? Apart from financial reasons (expensive 'good' actors).

I can only think of Wildman as the one crewmember that has been a BIT reocurring and that's mostly because of her daughter...

All the little people that get emotional traumas when being torpedoed or tractored, that get hurt and die during boardings and attacks, that stand behind the closed doors when some "important" person dies and has to be thrown out through a big hole in the wall...

I remember all the times a 'little' man was used in TNG, for example one time when Worf was extra angry and let it out on some poor latino guy who hadn't given 110% in some pesky labour. Those guys don't even get lines, just Charlie Sheenish "smell-the-fart"-expressions of sorrow, depth, etc.

Isn't this issue in our interests?

------------------
So, how's that Survivor-contest coming along, Newt?
-Well not very well at the MOMENT, everyone seems to have died.
-Gee, that's bad. Those Aliens bugging you yet?
-Not really, they mostly come at night mostly...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vaguely remember one episode (I think it might have been "Starship Down"). The poor guy at conn goes flying when the circuit breakers fail to come in again. Sisko immedietly says "Major, take the helm", or something. Five mintutes later, same thing happens. Difference? This time Sisko leaps out of his seat, over to Kira, and starts checking to see if she's okay.

Or maybe it wasn't because she was a regular. Maybe he just liked the oh-so-tight unifroms the poor girls on Trek seem to enjoy wearing.

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was Muniz in 'Starship Down', 'The Ship' and Hard Time.

I think the Bajoran engineer in 'The Circle' trilogy had been seen before - can't recall her name.

There's Engineer Swinn from Season Two of Voyager (I think she was last seen in 'Resolutions) - she'd appeared a few times before that, I think.

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Voyager has actually done a decent job with keeping the little people around. They worked especially hard at this in the first season. They had a bunch of familiar faces around. Remember Durst who had his face ripped off by the Vidian scientist to try and seduce B'Lanna? He was in a few eps as were several people who ended up dying or just kind of fading away.

It was good to see the Bolian Maquis, Schell, from "Learning Curve" again in "Regression".

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bajoran engineer wasn't in the "Circle" trilogy, if its the one I'm thinking about -- the woman who tried to assassinate Bariel? That was "In The Hands of The Prophets."

She was also in a prior episode, and she and O'Brien had some good lines. It was the "doghouse virus" ep.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
I'll hug your elephant if you'll kiss my ass.
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you're probably thinking of the right episode.

Seeing as the last time I saw those episodes was about five years ago, you'll forgive my hazy recollection

And I think the episode you're thinking of where she previously appeared was 'Fascination.

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nela, wasn't it?

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Thatcher: That's a bit drastic, don't you think?
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there's of course Vorik.
Also, in TNG, some helm officers were seen more than once, like Balter.

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I liked about TNG was that sometimes an episode would center entirely around a minor character. "The Wounded", or "Preemptive Strike" for examples.

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Thatcher: That's a bit drastic, don't you think?
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Under Decks" was probably the best example of a TNG-ep featuring the "background" guys ... ("Below Decks"?)

McKnight (I think that's her name...) Blonde girl, she was in a couple of episodes ...

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
I'll hug your elephant if you'll kiss my ass.
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Lower Decks" [TNG]

------------------
"Well, we came, we fought, we got spanked."
-Sheamus Harper, Andromeda

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was also this one chick (dark, short spikey hair) who showed up in the series, then in Generations, and in Insurrection (mabey in FC too) but she wears a different color uni all the time.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I remember her. She was in Ten Forward in Generations when Picard walked in to meet Soran. She was also on the port-side bridge station (communications?) beside Data's console. She was also in Rascals by the Engineering console.

She seems to be a regular little character. I still haven't found a name.

------------------
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: A New Hope)

IP: Logged
Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, i rememeber her! I think her name was never stated, but she showed up on several personal parties aboard the Enterprise also!
AND, she was in FC.... The scene where Picard is standing besides Datas console: "Set a course for earth. Maximum Warp!"
You can see her in the background.

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Visit Rogue Fleet! The new StarTrek Internet RPG.
RogueFleet
Applications are still running!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting, must check her out...

------------------
So, how's that Survivor-contest coming along, Newt?
-Well not very well at the MOMENT, everyone seems to have died.
-Gee, that's bad. Those Aliens bugging you yet?
-Not really, they mostly come at night mostly...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps