Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Why Senator Cretak? (IAESL $$$$$)

Author Topic: Why Senator Cretak? (IAESL $$$$$)
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I watched "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges", not all of it, though. After watching the trial, I was asking myself the question: was Senator Cretak's conviction justified? I mean, I honestly believe that her actions were for the greater good, to save that diplomat from certain death. And for that, she gets thrown in prison. Section 31 believed her to be a patriot. So was that their mission? To trap Cretak and throw her into prison, possibly executing her as well, just because of several feelings she has? Uh-uh. Unacceptable. Had I been Dr. Bashir, I would have resigned from Starfleet in protest because I simply cannot tolerate pushing her out of the way like that.

Oh, and BTW, Proconsul Neral has aged quite a bit from his last appearance in ST:TNG "Unification Part II".

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cretak was loyal to Romulus. Admiral Ross gave his reason right in the episode. If the best interests of the Romulan Empire diverged from that of the Federation, she would side with her people, leaving the Federation/Klingon alliance in dire straits.

Was it morally defensible? I would say no, though many would say yes. Was it right? I suppose that depends on your point of view.

Bashir ends the episode with the thought that maybe the universe isn't as black and white as he thought it was. Then again, maybe it is.

------------------
"I'll be the sky above the Ganges
I'll be the vast and stormy sea.
I'll be the lights that guide you inward.
I'll be the visions you will see."
--
R.E.M.

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, Section 31 is there because of one simple thing. The Federation came to the realization early on that everything isn't all black and white. Section 31 exists directly because of the many shades of grey out there in the galaxy.

------------------
Risk is our business! That's what this starship is all about....that's why we're aboard her!"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that Neral had aged quite a bit also. Was it the same actor as it was last time?
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Federation needs Section 31. The Romulans have the Tal Shiar and the Cardassians had the Obsidian order (is it still there?). They do whatever it takes to get the job done. If the Federation stands by and says well we can't do that, it's not very nice, their enemies will win.

------------------
"YOU SMEG!"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Obsidian Order, now switched official hands and more under Dominion control as of "Rocks and Shoals", is called the "Cardassian Intelligence Bureau." Uck.

And it wasn't the same actor who played Neral. It was Hal Landon, Jr. in "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" and Norman Large in "Unification".

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How would one know if Cretak would favour a Dominion/Romulan Alliance? And you can't convict a person because of opinion. This would be like Orwell's 1984, where people are jailed for simply having a bad thought.

And if the Rom/Fed alliance was worried about Cretak doing something bad, why couldn't they simply ask Cretak to resign, or fire her? There are many ways to shut a person up rather than throw them in prison and swallow the key.

Finally, why would Neral convict Cretak of Treason even though it was obvious she broke into that database to try to SAVE that diplomat? Unless Neral was in it too.

------------------
Except Temptation

[This message was edited by Tahna Los on March 15, 1999.]

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer to both of your questions is, they're Romulans. What else could you expect from them?

------------------
Risk is our business! That's what this starship is all about....that's why we're aboard her!"

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that Addmiral Ross was pretty similar to Admiral Dougherty from Insurrection. Working for the greater good of the Federation. The ends justify the means. That sort of thing.
Brigman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the only problem being, Ross was established to be LESS of a nasty guy over a couple of eps. in DS9.

Well it just goes to show, you can't trust a Starfleet Admiral.

------------------
Peace!
Brigs

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Member # 33

I guess they never heard of a benefit of a doubt.

------------------
Except Temptation

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't a question of whether the senator would favor the Dominion over the Federation. She would favor the Romulan Empire over both of them. Which is exactly what Admiral Ross and Section 31 were worried about.

------------------
"I'll be the sky above the Ganges
I'll be the vast and stormy sea.
I'll be the lights that guide you inward.
I'll be the visions you will see."
--
R.E.M.

Saltah'na
Member # 33

One other thing, why did Neral punish Cretak for trying to save Koval? Maybe Sela warped his mind too much.

------------------
Except Temptation

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.