Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Why the Dominion war cannot be won by traditional means, Part II ($$$)

Author Topic: Why the Dominion war cannot be won by traditional means, Part II ($$$)
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've opened a part 2 to this thread since the first was falling out of topic. Perhaps we can update on strategies as the eps come out.

It appears that the Breen and the Dominion will be launching a surprise attack on Earth. As well, there is news of a Breen Superweapon possibly destroying or seriously damaging the Defiant.

Some comments: First, this means that either the Dominion/Breen Alliance is using the weapon to very good use, or secondly (more likely) that the Breen and the Dominion have combined forces on Cloaking technology. Remember that it was mentioned earlier that the Breen do possess Cloaking technology, and perhaps the Dominion have some after salvaging some of the wreckage of the Cardassian-Romulan Fleet. (Perhaps the Cardassians possess their own cloaking technology, the Romulans gave cloaking devices to the Cardassians before their combined fleet had their butts wiped)

Secondly, if the Feds do manage to repel this attack, this leaves them in a very awkward position. I say awkward because a good strike on Earth would force many ships to abandon their defensive positions to assist in defending the heart of the Federation. Member worlds may fall from the subsequent retreat of Fed forces, as organized resistance will crumble (as Weyoun "said" in "In the pale moonlight". Note that this is the same exact strategy that Weyoun briefed Damar during that faked meeting in that same ep, only this time, they have a greater element of surprise).

Winning this war now seems more close to impossible, perhaps another divine intervention by the Prophets is necessary?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The writers at DS9 have really avoided providing a lot of strategic details regarding the war, so we very little about the current situation. I don't think that we could then say that it would be impossible for the allies to win the war by any specific means.

And if the rumours are true about Damar starting a resistance, and cooperating with the Federation, he could provide extremely valuable information that would help the Feds win the war.

As for the Breen strike on Earth, hard to say what effect it will have until we see that episode, my guess is it's just as much for psychological reasons as military ones. But then again, it's so hard to know what's in the head of a Breen

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is what I would do if I was Weyoun.

First, I would be putting a little effort into reconfiguring those phased polaron beams. It wasn't too long ago that they could cut through shields as if they weren't there. It shouldn't take that much research to bypass Starfleet's new shield configurations.

However, I wouldn't send any ship equipped with this improved beam to the front lines. Rather, I'd position them around Cardassia Prime for awhile. Build up a large defense force.

Upon reaching a decent size, I'd move some of these ships to a secret location along the Federation border. Starfleet, seeing this as an attempt by the Dominion to launch a counterattack, would also notice that a small but potentially devastating hole had been left in the defenses of Cardassia Prime. Seizing the opportunity to put a quick end to the war, Starfleet invades, and takes the planet. Once they have their troops on the ground, I make my real attack. The earlier fleet, only part of which was sent to the Federation border, descends on Starfleet, hoping to quickly knock out their unsuspecting vessels. With their ships gone, the troops on the ground can eventually be overwhelmed by the Jem'Hadar being grown in underground facilities scattered throughout Cardassia Prime.

The end result is that the best troops the Federation/Klingon/Romulan alliance has to offer are wiped out. With their momentum broken, we can quickly seize control of the Bajoran system (Must get that wormhole open). With reinforcements from the rest of the Dominion on their way, the Alpha Quadrant is doomed.

The beauty is that Cardassia is finally punished for attacking the Founders, and the Dominion doesn't have to fire a shot. In fact, the Cardassians may even become more dedicated to the Dominion cause as a result of the invasion.

------------------
"And though I once prefered a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me."
--
They Might Be Giants

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sol: That's what you would do assuming that you didn't have Cloaking Technology. This is to be a surprise attack, according to the spoilers. This would be just as effective, or even better than your plan that you just mentioned.

Another hinter: Starfleet has some Tachyon Detection Grids and Gravitic Sensor nets to detect cloaked ships. Originally, these were supposed to be deployed in the Romulan Neutral Zone, but I have a feeling that similar sensors are deployed near the Cardassian Border. Always want to play it safe.

These sensors are designed to detect and ships, cloaked or otherwise. Assuming that some of these sensors do exist near the Cardassian Border, this means that the surprise attack on Earth was totally undetected, which implies that the Dominion has combined it's advanced technology and whatever knowledge of Cloaking Technology with the Breen to make a cloak which would be virtually undetectable. The Dominion do possess technology to see cloaked ships, why not build a good cloaking tech while you're at it?

The idea of Damar starting a resistance is interesting, depending on how many ships will they will bring to the feds. Considering the destruction of most the fleet when the Klingons invaded Cardassia, the Cardies would be relative wimps without their Dominion Counterparts. Siding with the feds may not make much difference in the war.

------------------
Except Temptation

grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
But over the past 2 and a hlaf years, the FCardassians have rebuilt their fleet. Look at how many ships they had in SofA.

------------------
"How many people does it
take before it becomes
wrong? 6,000? 60,000?
How many people does it
take admiral!?!" -Ambassador
Picard during his command
of the Enterprise-E in the
Ba'ku incident.

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Member # 33

Okay, so now the Breen attack Earth. What do you think are the Chances that Starfleet will ever win this thing without the complete destruction of Earth?

------------------
Except Temptation

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I missed that ep. Was the attack mentioned, did we see it, what?

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tahna:
Pretty good, given TPTB need a planet from which to recruit human crew for future series.

------------------
An unborn scream burst in my stomach,
and spread like cold mercury through my chest.
I covered my face with my hands, but kept looking through my fingers.
"Write that down!", he told the stick.
"Is visibly destroyed, yet unable to turn away".

- Blue Jam

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.